Judges David Berman RGD, author of Do Good Design: How Design Can Change our World; Frances Edmonds, Director of Environmental Programs at HP Canada; Ben Hagon RGD, Founder and President of Hagon Design; and Dmitri Siegel, VP of E-commerce & Executive Creative Director at Patagonia selected 42 winning projects from 190 entries submitted from 7 countries.
The projects listed below effectively promote action in support of social change with originality, creativity and the use of sophisticated design concepts. Winners will be featured in a printed catalog and free iPad app and will be recognized at the 2013 DesignThinkers conference.
Not-For-Profit Client-Initiated Projects:
- Cossette (Canada): Habitat for Humanity 2011 Annual Report
- On The Chase! (Canada): 'What is Social Innovation?'
- Aveda (Canada): 'iWalkForWater'
- Lyubava Fartushenko, Student, University of Alberta (Canada): 'Community-Based Design Education'
- Anita Feng, Student, UQAM (Canada): 'Fukushima'
- Faren Agency (Canada): 'Heading Home? Must be nice. Campaign for Tokens4Change for Youth Without Shelter'
- Hambly & Woolley (Canada): 'Participaction's Bring Back Play Mobile App'
- smashLAB (Canada): 'The Vancouver Aquarium Website'
- Dalida Karić-Hadžiahmetović: 'Woman Is Not An Object'
- Orangetango (Canada): 'Dr. Julien Foundation 2012 Fundraising'
- Tamm + Kit (Canada): 'Global Development Volunteer Campaign'
- K10 art+design (Canada): 'The Defi Canderel Event 2012/13 Fundraising Campaign'
- Helena Ng Design (Canada): 'Alzheimer Society of Ontario - Finding Your Way Program Campaign Design Series'
- Juniper Park (Canada): 'Story Planet: Intergalactic Travel Authority'
- AIDS Committee of Toronto (Canada): 'My Sex Life: Info for Young Pox People'
- Riordon Design (Canada): 'Street Level Website'
- SQUAB Creative Studio (Canada):'The Professional's Guide To Becoming a Champion'
For Profit Client-Initiated Projects:
- Projektor (Canada): 'Switchback Cyclery Brand Identity'
- ALSO Collective (Canada): 'Urban Ecologies Conference 2013'
- Orangetango (Canada): 'Quebec Breast Cancer Foundation: Detecting Changes'
- Orangetango (Canada): 'La Ligne Bleue - Branding Promotion and Web'
- Russell Shaw (USA): 'Skylight Farm'
- Corktown Seed Co. (Canada): 'Canada's Land Watch'
Designer Initiated Projects:
- Chantal Abdel-Nour, Student, Cambrian College (Canada): 'Smart Little Seeds'
- Jessica Baratta, Student, York University (Canada): 'A Cup of Reality'
- Jillian Ditner, Student, York University (Canada): 'Visualizing Bird Migration'
- Jillian Ditner, Student, York University (Canada): 'Seed Saving Info Wheel'
- Key Gordon (Canada): 'Gratitude Bag'
- Heather Goulter, Student, York University (Canada): 'Drink. Drive.'
- Marissa Korda, Student, York University (Canada): 'Teens Need Better Sex Ed'
- Linda Nakanishi, (Canada): Japan Earthquake Poster'
- Design Can Do (USA): 'Design Can Do'
- Kaitlyn Pannunzio, Student, York University (Canada): 'Flat Packed Sustainable Birdhouse'
- Alison Rowan, Student, OCAD (Canada): 'Buy a Dictionary'
- Kyuha Shim, Student, RISD (USA): 'Google 8bit AQI'
- Agnieska Ziemiszewski, PhD Student, Academy of Fine Arts (Poland) 'Nothing Personal'
Government Initiated Projects: