Every year, the Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD) invites submissions of graphic design projects from around the world done under the theme of communication design for social good; work with the power to incite action and make meaningful change in the way we live our lives.
Today’s designers have an ever greater responsibility to visualize the significant issues facing our society and find new ways to incite change in the way we behave. When we approach these issues creatively, we can make a real difference in the world.
For 2015, a portion of the entry fees will be donated to the Canadian Red Cross Nepal Region Earthquake Fund.
Entry deadlines for 2015 So(cial) Good Design Awards:
Early Bird: June 1, 2015
Final: June 22, 2015
Non-Profit, Client Initiated Category: Manager of Communications at AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT), Kyle Greenwood; Designer, Mario Mercier DGA; Founder of Studio Myerscough, Morag Myerscough; Art Director and Principal at Riordon Design, Shirley Riordon RGD
For Profit, Client Initiated Category: Design Director at Duffy & Partners, Joseph Duffy; Creative Director at Blok Design, Vanessa Eckstein RGD; Head of Corporate Citizenship at Manulife Financial, Chris Ouellete; Principal and Creative Director at Subplot Design Inc., Roy White
Designer Driven Category: Kickstarter Co-Founder Charles Adler; Founder of Draplin Design Co., Aaron Draplin; Creative Director and Partner at Underline Studio, Fidel Pena RGD; Creative Director at St. Bernadine Mission Communications, Andrew Samuel
Non-Profit, Client Initiated Projects:
Intent (Toronto, Canada): 'She Deserves It' Campaign
Blok Design (Toronto, Canada): Coalition for Engaged Education Identity
The Public Studio (Toronto, Canada): Elder Abuse Prevention Campaign
GenesisXD (Toronto, Canada): KLINK Coffee Social Enterprise Branding
Parcel Design (Toronto, Canada): Camp Quality Identity
rtraction (London, Canada): 1,000 Acts of Kindness Campaign
We Are Michael Jackson (Rotterdam, Netherlands): MAFIFA Poster
Thought Cafe (Toronto, Canada): Approval Voting Video
Projektor Brand Image (Toronto, Canada): Not Far From The Tree 2013 Yearbook
Hambly & Woolley (Toronto, Canada): Teresa Group Identity
ALSO Collective (Toronto, Canada): SickKids Pediatric Orthopedic Fellowship Annual Report
9 Lives Design (North Bay, Canada): UCycle Campaign
STUDIO JAYWALL (Toronto, Canada): Jane's Walk Print Campaign
For Profit, Client Initiated Projects:
The Works Design Communications (Toronto, Canada): RESPECT Report
Thought Cafe (Toronto, Canada): Crash Course Education Series
Trapeze Media (Toronto, Canada): KRAFT Celebration Tour Website
Helena Ng Design (Markham, Canada): Animal Protection Stamp Collection
Pivot Design Group (Toronto, Canada): 1in3.ca Website
Government Initiated Projects:
ON THE CHASE! Motion Design (Toronto, Canada): #BeOurAlly Campaign Video
Bureau (Sudbury, Canada): OBWC Brand and Website
Ontario Science Centre (Toronto, Canada): Banting Best Lab Exhibit
Blok Design (Toronto, Canada): Lab Ciudad Identity
Una Lee Design (Toronto, Canada): Feathers of Hope Campaign
City of Mississauga (Mississauga, Canada): Mississauga Earth Days 2014 Campaign
Flipside Creative Inc. (Vancouver, Canada): Golden Spruce Trail Experience
Gravity Inc. (Toronto, Canada): Ontario Clean Water Agency Annual Report
Designer Driven Projects:
Katie Maasik Student RGD (North Vancouver, Canada): You Are Not Al(one) Campaign
Heather Luscher Student RGD (Toronto, Canada): 'Meat of the Matter' Print Piece
Ottawa Bicycle Lanes (Ottawa, Canada): Ottawa Bicycle Lanes Campaign
Lauren Coutts Student RGD (North Vancouver, Canada): Colour Blind Awareness Campaign
Marissa Korda Student RGD (Toronto, Canada): Reel Women Film Festival Identity
Chloe Blanchard Student RGD, Joyce Dang Student RGD & Alaa Abuamra Student RGD (Toronto, Canada): Beyond 40 App
Adademia di Belle Arti di Firenze (Italy): 'Bring Salvation to All Living Things' Poster
Nathakorn Kittananthawongs Student RGD (Toronto, Canada): 'Against Animal Testing' Infographic
Sylvie Leveiller Student RGD (Sudbury, Canada): The Basket Challenge Campaign
Camille Pomponi Student RGD (Toronto, Canada): Camoni Tea and Coffee Packaging
Chloe Silver Student RGD (Toronto, Canada): 'What's Your Beef?' Brochure
Design Partner: Forge Media + Design
Paper Partner: Rolland Enterprises Inc.
Print Partner: Somerset
Exhibit Partner: Resource Integrated
Judges David Berman RGD, author of Do Good Design: How Design Can Change our World; Frances Edmonds, Director of Environmental Programs at HP Canada; Ben Hagon RGD, Founder and President of Hagon Design; and Dmitri Siegel, VP of E-commerce & Executive Creative Director at Patagonia selected 42 winning projects from 190 entries submitted from 7 countries.
The projects listed below effectively promote action in support of social change with originality, creativity and the use of sophisticated design concepts. 2013 winners are featured in a printed catalog and free iPad app and were recognized at the 2013 DesignThinkers Conference.
Not-For-Profit Client-Initiated Projects:
- Cossette (Canada): Habitat for Humanity 2011 Annual Report
- On The Chase! (Canada): 'What is Social Innovation?'
- Aveda (Canada): 'iWalkForWater'
- Lyubava Fartushenko, Student, University of Alberta (Canada): 'Community-Based Design Education'
- Anita Feng, Student, UQAM (Canada): 'Fukushima'
- Faren Agency (Canada): 'Heading Home? Must be nice. Campaign for Tokens4Change for Youth Without Shelter'
- Hambly & Woolley (Canada): 'Participaction's Bring Back Play Mobile App'
- smashLAB (Canada): 'The Vancouver Aquarium Website'
- Dalida Karić-Hadžiahmetović: 'Woman Is Not An Object'
- Orangetango (Canada): 'Dr. Julien Foundation 2012 Fundraising'
- Tamm + Kit (Canada): 'Global Development Volunteer Campaign'
- K10 art+design (Canada): 'The Defi Canderel Event 2012/13 Fundraising Campaign'
- Helena Ng Design (Canada): 'Alzheimer Society of Ontario - Finding Your Way Program Campaign Design Series'
- Juniper Park (Canada): 'Story Planet: Intergalactic Travel Authority'
- AIDS Committee of Toronto (Canada): 'My Sex Life: Info for Young Pox People'
- Riordon Design (Canada): 'Street Level Website'
- SQUAB Creative Studio (Canada):'The Professional's Guide To Becoming a Champion'
For Profit Client-Initiated Projects:
- Projektor (Canada): 'Switchback Cyclery Brand Identity'
- ALSO Collective (Canada): 'Urban Ecologies Conference 2013'
- Orangetango (Canada): 'Quebec Breast Cancer Foundation: Detecting Changes'
- Orangetango (Canada): 'La Ligne Bleue - Branding Promotion and Web'
- Russell Shaw (USA): 'Skylight Farm'
- Corktown Seed Co. (Canada): 'Canada's Land Watch'
Designer Initiated Projects:
- Chantal Abdel-Nour, Student, Cambrian College (Canada): 'Smart Little Seeds'
- Jessica Baratta, Student, York University (Canada): 'A Cup of Reality'
- Jillian Ditner, Student, York University (Canada): 'Visualizing Bird Migration'
- Jillian Ditner, Student, York University (Canada): 'Seed Saving Info Wheel'
- Key Gordon (Canada): 'Gratitude Bag'
- Heather Goulter, Student, York University (Canada): 'Drink. Drive.'
- Marissa Korda, Student, York University (Canada): 'Teens Need Better Sex Ed'
- Linda Nakanishi, (Canada): Japan Earthquake Poster'
- Design Can Do (USA): 'Design Can Do'
- Kaitlyn Pannunzio, Student, York University (Canada): 'Flat Packed Sustainable Birdhouse'
- Alison Rowan, Student, OCAD (Canada): 'Buy a Dictionary'
- Kyuha Shim, Student, RISD (USA): 'Google 8bit AQI'
- Agnieska Ziemiszewski, PhD Student, Academy of Fine Arts (Poland) 'Nothing Personal'
Government Initiated Projects:
- Catalyst Workshop (Canada): 'MNR Endangered Species of the Day Widget'
- City of Mississauga (Canada): 'Monster Fitness Circuit'
- Acart Communications (Canada): 'Personal Space'
- RGD was gratified by the community's response (over 200 submissions from 11 countries), the quality of work and the passion of the designers.
The winning projects were on public display at The Gladstone Hotel in November, with a reception held on November 10. See pictures from the exhibit here. A catalogue featuring the winning work is also available. Click here to view a digital version.
Not-For-Profit (Client Initiated Projects):
- Youth-led Community Organizing Reports. Design by Una Lee for Laidlaw Foundation
- Side by Side Conference Branding. Design by Hagon Design for St. Joseph's International Outreach Program
- 2007 Hungry City - Make Your Own Campaign. Design by Pivot Design Group for the Daily Bread Food Bank.
- Women Lovin': A Sexual Health Guide for Queer Women. Designed and Illustrated by Jayme Spinks for ACT (AIDS Committee of Toronto) & CATIE (Canada's source for HIV and hepatitis C information).
- Not Myself Today Campaign. Designed by Blok Design for Partners for Mental Health.
- SHE Branding. Designed by Blok Design for SHE (Sustainable Health Enterprises)
- Girl Guides of Canada 100th Anniversary Logo. Designed by AmoebaCorp for Girl Guides of Canada.
- Observance and Memorial Exhibit. Designed by Emilio Genovese for Royal Ontario Museum.
- Voice of Industry Website. Designed by Gil Martinez for Voice of Industry.
- ArtHouse Branding. Designed by Branding for Good for ArtHouse.
- Mozilla Webmakers Video Series. Designed by Smart Bubble Society Inc. for Mozilla Foundation.
- Fare Share Food Bank Branding. Designed by Limelight Advertising & Design for Fare Share Food Bank.
- Our Dreams Matter Too Report. Designed by Una Lee for Children and Youth.
- Do The Happy Campaign. Designed by Oxygen for SickKids Foundation.
- Mosquitoes Suck Tour. Designed by Naomi Francois for SoChange.
- Equality Ping / Equality Deng Posters. Designed by Sha Feng.
- Branksome Becomes Campaign. Designed by Clear Space for Branksome Hall.
For-Profit (Client Initiated Projects):
- Ensemble Branding. Designed by TAXI for Brand Aid Project.
- Niagara Region Wind Corporation Branding. Designed by Clear Space for Niagara Region Wind Corporation.
- Food Drive Poster. Designed by Jose Garcia and Tomas Hinojosa for PosterOne.
- Una Lee Business Card. Designed by Una Lee for Una Lee.
- Level Ground Branding & Packaging. Designed by Subplot for Level Ground Trading.
- Gebran2005 Headline Typeface. Designed by Nadine Chahine.
Designer Initiated Projects:
- Dolphin's Smile Campaign. Designed by Antonia Goga.
- Mexico Ciudad Futura Book. Designed by Blok Design.
- Difference Engine Initiative: Ripple Effect Poster. Designed by Una Lee.
- "To Be" Exhibition. Designed by Atanas Bozdarov.
- Congo Awareness Poster. Designed by Audrey Chia.
- Rape is Not Love Poster. Designed by Samantha Dirksen.
- Vegan Please Mobile App. Designed by Kate El-Bizri.
- Toronto High School Rebranding. Designed by Yana Stepchenko.
- Riceland Branding and Packaging. Designed by Qiannan Zhao.
- Concepts for all Online Image Bank. Designed by Nelu Wolfensohn.
- Secrets of the Magic School Book. Designed by Monika Krupa.