Top Row: Bob Hambly RGD, Randal Boutilier RGD, Umar Shahzad RGD, Julian Brown RGD, Lionel Gadoury RGD, Stussy Tschudin RGD. Bottom Row: Yoon Kang Student RGD, Terra Gillespie Prov RGD, Rod Nash RGD, Wendy Millard RGD, Brent Long RGD, Donna Braggins RGD. Not pictured: Karen Satok RGD, Marawan El-Asfahani RGD, Russell Gibbs RGD, Tina Mackenzie RGD. Photography: Spencer Xiong.
RGD's Annual General Meeting took place on April 24 to review the Association's accomplishments over the past year and elect the Board of Directors for 2014. In addition to three new Board Members, RGD is excited to welcome Stüssy Tschudin RGD, Co-founding Principal at Forge Media + Design in Toronto, as our new President.
"I am truly honoured to continue serving the RGD board. It is a pleasure to work with such a talented group of people, both at the RGD office and with the Board of Directors. There are big plans on the horizon for the RGD and I am looking forward to being able to contribute to their successful realization."
Stepping down from the position of President after three consecutive terms, Lionel Gadoury will continue to serve on the Board as Past President. Several Directors were reelected at the Meeting, and RGD is pleased to welcome new Board Members Brent Long RGD and Umar Shahzad RGD from Markham and Randal Boutilier RGD from Toronto.
Outgoing President Lionel Gadoury RGD and the Committee Chairs presented reports on the organization's progress in 2013. Notable achievements included:
- New developments to the Examination Process for becoming a Registered Graphic Designer
- Best attended DesignThinkers Conference to date with over 1,300 delegates over the two days
- Receiving 190 entries from 7 countries for the second annual international So(cial) Good Design Awards
- Substantial growth of RGD's online presence with daily website visits growing from 700 to over 1,100
- Local and international media attention for RGD's response to the Canada 150 logo controversy
- CEO of MEC David Labistour awarded first DesignThinker of the Year Award
In 2014, RGD will focus on:
- Promoting understanding and compliance with accessibility requirements through a new initiative funded by the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario (ADO)
- Providing insight into the financial trends facing Canada's creative sector with the biannual CreativeEarners Salary and Billing Survey
- Updating the RGD Examination process with increased focus on training forward-thinking, strategic professionals and preparing for the transition into a new online format launching in 2015
- Maintaining partnerships with other national and international organizations, and
- Other programs and initiatives designed to build awareness of the RGD designation and support the adoption of best practices across our industry
RGD Members of the 2014 Board are:
President: Stüssy Tschudin RGD, Toronto
Past President: Lionel Gadoury RGD, Toronto
VPs: Julian Brown RGD, Toronto; Bob Hambly RGD, Toronto; Tina Mackenzie RGD, Mississauga; Karen Satok RGD, Toronto
Secretary: Randal Boutilier RGD, Toronto
Treasurer: Marawan El-Asfahani RGD, Toronto
Directors: Donna Braggins RGD, Toronto; Russell Gibbs RGD, Dundas; Wendy Millard RGD, Kingston;
Ex Officio: Yoon Kang, Student Member, Toronto; Terra Gillespie, Provisional RGD, Toronto
For more information on RGD's Board of Directors, click here.
For details on RGD's Committees, click here.
A recording of the Annual General Meeting is available to view on Vimeo.