For the second year, RGD and Rotman School of Management invite designers of all disciplines to submit nominations of Canadian corporate leaders whose recognition of the role of design drives innovation and business success within their organization.
The inaugural award was presented to David Labistour, Chief Executive Officer of MEC, at RGD’s 14th annual DesignThinkers Conference. David was recognized for his long-standing commitment to design and appreciation for the process of design thinking to fuel innovation as the leader of one of Canada's most beloved brands.
“[David] has built MEC on design…with a deep respect for the people that both make and use their products, as well as the environmental and social impacts,” said 2013 judge Alan Dye, Executive Creative Director at Apple.
Click here for more coverage of last year's DesignThinker of the Year Award recipient.
The 2014 ‘DesignThinker of the Year’ will be honoured at this year's DesignThinkers conference in Toronto; be profiled in Rotman magzine; promoted in the media (see coverage from 2013 here); and receive a special DesignThinker of the Year award (designed by Entro).
- Nominees must be corporate leaders who work for companies, organizations or institutions based in Canada.
- Nominations must be submitted by October 3, 2014.
- An independent jury of design and business leaders will carefully evaluate submissions based on criteria indicated below.
Nomination criteria include a response (submitted in either video or written format) to a variety of questions and a selection of examples/images that support the nominee’s effective use of design. The selected nominator receives 5 free registrations to the conference.
The following 3 items must be submitted:
(1) Answer to the question: "Why do you think this nominee should be recognized as the 2014 DesignThinker of the Year?"
(2) Answer(s) to one or more questions outlined in the nomination form.
(3) High-res PDF file with a selection of images that support the nominee's effective use of design. Indicate the nominee’s contributions in this process.
***Answers to one or more questions may be submitted as a video (uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo, with a link provided as part of the online entry form); as text on the online entry form; or included along with images in the high-res PDF file.
Criteria of Evaluation
Quality/Relevance: Client influence on the quality and coherence of submitted work
Commitment: Sustained commitment to and regular client of design
Respect: Client respect and confidence in the work of designers
Strategy: Client use of design to drive innovation
Click HERE to access the online entry form and submit a nomination for the 2014 DesignThinker of the Year!