Enter the RGD Student Awards to win cash prizes and have your work profiled on our site!
EXTENDED DEADLINE: MAY 23, 2017 by 10:00am EST
For those who submit by the original deadline (May 12 by 11:59pm), you will be entered in a draw to win one of the following:
- $100 gift card to Umbra
- $100 gift card to Swipe
- Free registration to DesignThinkers Toronto or Vancouver
Any Student enrolled full-time in a post-secondary design or design-related program in Canada (or a Canadian student studying abroad) is eligible to enter. RGD Student Members enter free (Student Membership is $30 plus tax). Non-Members may submit and pay a $25 fee to enter.) Become a Student Member at rgd.ca/membership/student.php.
Any student work may be submitted. Please review the descriptions of the Awards of Specialty below to determine in what categories your projects best fit. Then consider projects that are strong in your use of colour, typography, strategy, social good awareness, as collaborations (group projects) and/or user experience to be considered for these Awards of Excellence. You are automatically considered for a regional recognition if you submit 3 projects.
HOW TO ENTER
(1) Go to www.judgify.me/rgdstudentawards17
(2) Click 'Submit an Entry' and create a New User account. (Note: your RGD Member login will not work on this page. You must create a new account to log in to Judgify)
(3) Submit up to 3 entries through our online submission forms.
(4) For each project you enter, define the client and/or target audience. Describe how your design solution is relevant to them.
(5) For each entry, submit no less than 1, no more than 6, images of your project (1,000 pixels wide across recommended sizing).
(6) If you are submitting a website or motion graphic, ensure that a url to the project or a movie file is uploaded.
(7) Additional text is required to be considered for any or all of our Awards of Excellence.
(8) You must submit 3 projects to be considered for regional recognition.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Award-winning creative professionals from across Canada will select the winning work. Students are eligible to win up to 2 cash Awards ($2,000).
RGD will notify winners in September. Winners must be Members of RGD to claim monetary Awards.
14 AWARDS OF SPECIALTY ($1,000 each)
.design Award for Self-Promotional/Personal Website - a website that is submitted on a .design url (available free for RGD Members) that promotes the individual entrant and/or a personal project, cause or initiative. Switch out your current .com or .ca domain to .design to qualify for this contest! Just tell your hosting provider to 'point' to your new domain, or contact .
50 Carleton Award for Logo Design - any project that is intended to represent and identify a company, product, service or organization and its essence graphically to be applied consistently across all visual materials representing that company, product, service or organization.
BOLD Award for Accessible Design - any project that explores design that is accessible to the greatest number of people, to the largest extent possible, regardless of their age or ability, across all design disciplines. All projects will be judged based on the application of accessible design principles in the development of the design solution.
Cineplex Digital Solutions Award for Information Design - any project that involves the design of clear, concise and visually attractive materials that enhance how people read, understand and use complex and/or detailed information. This might be an editorial layout documenting a complex issue, a user guide for completing a difficult task, a website presenting a range of statistics or a detailed map.
Entro Award for Placemaking Design - any project that helps build community through design interventions. This might be a poster for an event, a website for a tourist destination, a wayfinding system for a university or the design of a retail space.
Intent Award for Print Design - any project designed to be presented in the print medium. This might include a magazine, book, a poster, brochure, an invitation or postage stamp.
Greenmelon Award for Packaging Design (Single) - any project designed to enclose, protect and promote a single product for sale. This might include the labelling on a beer bottle, packaging inside a CD case or the wrapper for a chocolate bar.
Milestone Integrated Award for Digital Marketing Design - any project designed to sell a product or service through a digital platform. This might include a company website, an email campaign for a new product or an app or a contest advertised through Facebook or other social media.
q30 design Award for Brand Design - any project that involves a visual set of associations representing a company, product, service or organization. This might include a visual identity system applied to a business card, stationery and promo materials, a packaging system for a line of products, a visual identity system applied to a retail environment, delivery trucks and staff uniforms, or a visual identity system applied to the website and promotional materials for a conference or other event.
Fjord Award for Digital Product Design - any project designed to satisfy the needs and desires of people using a digital product, environment, system or service. This includes websites, app and user interfaces.
Polyester Studio Award for Motion Graphics - any project that uses digital techniques such as animation, infographics, photography, video, 3D, typography, sound and/or narration to tell a visual story.
Shikatani Lacroix Award for Packaging Design (Series) - any project designed to enclose, protect and promote a series of products for sale. This might include packaging for a line of cosmetics or labels for different flavours of the same brand of juice or packaging for a DVD series.
Studio123 Award for Visual Web Design - any web project where the visual design is intended to be beautiful, emotional and appeal to the senses. (Only visual design will be judged.)
Zulu Alpha Kilo Award for Advertising/Promotion Design - any project created to promote a specific business, program, event or special offer. This can include self-promotion or client-based work.
- Forge Award for Typographic Design - all projects will be judged based on the strategic and effective use of typography in the development of the design solution.
- Gravity Inc Award for Social Good Design - all projects will be judged based on their value to the community and innovative solutions to solve local or global challenges.
- Haft2 Award for Use of Colour - all projects will be judged based on the strategic and effective use of colour in the development of the design solution.
- john st. Award for Collaborative Design - for any project developed by a team of 2 to 6 students. All projects will be judged in part on the description of how the team collaborated effectively. The $1,000 award will be divided among the members of the winning team.
- Mosaic Award for Story-telling - for design work in any medium that is most effective at communicating a story through words and images.
- Purpose/Built Award for Strategic Design - all projects will be judged based on the description of the project and its goals and how these were achieved through the design solution.
- Quarry Award for User Experience - all projects will be judged based on the application of UX design principles in the development of the design solution.