The comprehensive report includes how design impacts productivity, turnover, employment and the financial performance of businesses.
The report represents value created by those employed in design roles in a wide variety of industries, that use design in many different ways.
- Workers with a design element to their work were 41% more productive than the average
- Between 2009 an 2013, the design economy GVA grew at a faster rate than the average
- For those who invest in and use design strategically (though don’t necessarily have a large proportion of designers in their workforce), the average output per employee is greater
- In 2013, the total value of exports where design had made a key contribution was £34bn
- 5% of the UK workforce were employed in the design economy in 2014
- Designers account for 22% of the workforce in the information and communication sector
"Over the years, the Design Council has been extremely effective at demonstrating the value design brings to the British economy. RGD will be sending copies of this report to key officials in the Canadian government to help them understand the importance of design and how more support for the design industry here in Canada could provide innumerable benefits to our economy and the nation as a whole," says RGD's President Stüssy tschudin RGD.
For more, visit www.designcouncil.org.uk/what-we-do/design-economy.