The 2017 RGD Design Educators Conference takes place on Monday, November 6 as part of the DesignThinkers Conference in Toronto.
RGD welcomes submissions from educators and industry professionals from around the world. Selected presenters will receive complimentary passes to both the RGD Design Educators Conference (Nov 6) and the DesignThinkers Conference in Toronto (November 7-8).
Deadline for submissions: July 21, 2017
This year's theme is Learning From the World, For the World
Design has tremendous power to engage with global social, economic, cultural and environmental challenges. It is useful for design educators to reflect on where design has been and to think about where it will go in order to understand how design pedagogy can prepare students to be agents of and for change.
What considerations and issues must educators address in order to best prepare the next generation of designers? By examining the evolving contexts and practices of design around the world, we seek areas of opportunity in which design curricula and the industry can evolve.
How can pedagogical methods:
1. enlighten students of their own biases?
2. help students develop on awareness of the world around them?
3. prepare students to be more aware of their social and cultural responsibilities?
4. engage students with specific communities?
5. locate a student's place within the design discipline?
6. support and empathize with the diverse needs of students?
We invite you to submit proposals that address this important topic from a variety of perspectives.
- Presentation & Discussion - traditional paper presentation (15-20 minutes)
- Dialogue & Debate - interviews or discussions (30-60 minutes)
- Plan & Participate - hands-on workshop (30-60 minutes)
Abstracts will be reviewed by our Abstract Review Panel. Selected presenters will be notified in August if their proposals are selected for inclusion in the Conference.
Following the Conference, select presenters will be asked to contribute to a PDF publication of the Conference proceedings. See the 2015 publication here.
Please send questions to email@example.com