The Book Club gives Members an opportunity to learn more about design through reading and group discussion.
The books provide common content, spurring discussion that will widen members’ horizons to new topics. The club has met several times since its inception and Members value it:
Anthony Furia RGD says, "The RGD book club not only gives me an excuse to fill up my shelves, but provides a friendly forum for discussing ideas and sharing experiences with other design professionals. Did I mention there's beer and snacks?"
Also sharing his appreciation, Jesse Pope, an Affiliate Member, says, "The club combines serious discourse with a relaxed atmosphere."
The group reads one book every 6 weeks. The book list, reading schedule and meet-ups are organized through Facebook. Members can attend meet-ups in-person or virtually. (You must be a Member of RGD or GDC to participate.)
- February 26: Why Fonts Matter by Sarah Hyndman. More information
- April 16: 100 MORE Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People by Susan Weinschenk. More information
Books read by the group include:
• Articulating Design Decisions by Tom Greever
• Failed It! by Erik Kessels
• How To by Michael Bierut
• 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People by Susan Weinschenk
• Judge This by Chip Kidd
In addition to inspiring discussion, past meet-ups have included a live virtual Q&As with authors, a free online course gifted to one members and giveaways.