Graphic Designer - Ottawa
Recognized as an Employer of Choice in the National Capital Region, Giant Tiger’s Home Office provides a dynamic work environment with many opportunities for a fulfilling career. We are a Canadian owned and operated retailer (and proud of it!), with a strong commitment to the community, and over 50 years of success. If you are looking for a challenging and stimulating career, Giant Tiger may be right for you. We believe in opportunities for growth & development, teamwork, and engagement.
We are looking for a dynamic individual who enjoys the challenge and fast pace of the marketing industry. In this contract role, you will be responsible for the on time creation and production of various design projects, both print and digital. You will support the design team in the marketing department by working on-site. Your goal will be to elevate our brand essence in the marketplace in all aspects of advertising and design and ensure internal customer satisfaction.
- Create and produce print related design projects such as weekly store newspapers ads, weekly in-store sign packages, flyer design, packaging projects, promotional newspaper ads, bag-stuffers, promotional materials and more;
- Create, produce or support digital related design projects sur as online flyer pages, HTML versions of weekly emails, coding and development for the website in responsive design, coding web pages using CSS, HTML & JQUERY;
- Actively contribute ideas and concepts that will propel the Giant Tiger brand forward;
- Through design choices including use of various elements, typography, layout and composition, illustration and photography where needed, strive to elevate the look and tone of the Giant Tiger brand;
- Learn the Giant Tiger brand, our private label brands, the in-store experience, our print and digital advertising brand standards and abilities within the print and digital spaces to enhance our customer facing communications;
- Understands the importance of brand standards and is able to follow and adhere to as needed;
- Design messages with impact and clarity and ensure that promotional messaging has a strong call to action and considers the end use/channel
- Ensure that brand standards and brand needs are understood for each project including logos, price point set-ups, font use and templates that should be used;
- Reference packaging and brand standards, ask for examples if unsure;
- Make all corrections and revisions through the proofing process;
- Input text and adjust all language versions as needed with the best design possible, adjust art as needed;
- Prepare files for the printer with consideration for specs, colour management and image resolution.
- Minimum 5 years of graphic design experience, retail advertising experience is preferred;
- Post-secondary education in Graphic Design or related discipline;
- Strong command of typography, colour, composition, layout and design for a multitude of projects;
- Experience in retail advertising with exposure to fashion, grocery and hard goods is preferred;
- Print experience: high-level concept design, logo and brand identity, package design, retail flyers, seasonal and event advertising, newspaper ads, signs, print production and file prep;
- Digital experience: logo and brand identity, website design, email design, mobile design, digital advertising design, understanding of how to interpret a wireframe into a search engine optimized concept, experience with motion graphics and video editing an asset but not a core function of this role;
- Ability to proactively manage timelines in accordance with the production schedule on all projects;
- Efficiently communicate with team members and managers to ensure that projects move forward;
- Experience with projects requiring both English and French versions;
- Bilingualism (English and French), is preferred.
Interested applicants must submit a portfolio along with their resume in order to be considered for this position.
Giant Tiger is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fair and accessible employment procedures. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants and employees with disabilities.
For more information, or to submit your application please email or view the job posting here.