1. The Basics:
Name: Roxann Shapwaykeesic RGD
Company Name: Team AIBOD
Job Title: Senior Graphic Designer
2. When does your typical work day start and end?
Our office working hours are from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. I generally stick to these guidelines as 9 hours is a little more than a Canadian work day and overtime isn’t paid out in this company. If something comes up, I’ll stay a little later if I have to.
3. What’s the first thing you do when you get to work?
Because I work in a Japanese company and my Japanese language proficiency isn’t as good as it could be, I review the emails and messages first thing in the morning. Google translate has become my second most used tool. Most of the emails deal with the technical side of the business, everybody is cc’d on everything, so I like to keep up to date on what is going on within the company.
5. What is your favourite part of your work day?
My most favourite thing in my day is working with a multinational team. We have staff and interns from around the globe; France, Russia, Netherlands, Germany, Columbia, USA, Philippines, Puerto Rico, and of course a core Japanese team. Working with people with different backgrounds is a fantastic learning opportunity and offers a great variety of influence
6. Do you have any strategies to keep up your productivity/inspiration over the course of the day?
Like most people, I listen to music most of the day, playing random playlists on Youtube is also a great way to discover new music too. It keeps me upbeat and inspires me throughout the day.
7. Are there any tasks that you like to do at the end of the day? That you feel you must do before you leave?
At the end of the day, I tidy and clean my work area. The Japanese are a very organized and clean society. We also work in an open environment and share workspace, so I feel it’s important to show consideration for others.
8. How has your job changed over the last year, 5 years, if at all?
In the last 5 years, I’ve grown into more multimedia and UI/UX design that we didn’t study when I was in college. I think that as technology evolves and designer roles continue to become more and more specialized, a learning mentality is required at all times. The ability to self-learn and be
adaptable is more and more crucial in the work environment. I’m using a greater variety of programs than when I first started as a graphic designer.
Finish these sentences:
9. As a graphic designer, I can’t go a day without … my earphones and music.
10. One thing I wish I knew when I started my career is that … the vital importance of proofreading, and then proofreading again, then getting another pair of eyes to closely and patiently proofread again.
12. Can you also provide an image of a project (or something else) you are currently working on?
We are currently redesigning our company website. The concepts are being developed in Adobe XD with consideration of breakpoints and cellphone.