Junior Graphic Designer - Toronto
CIFAR is currently seeking a passionate Junior Graphic Designer to join the dynamic and forward-thinking Strategic Communications team promoting the research and outcomes of CIFAR’s initiatives for a 6 month contract.
Reporting to the Creative Director, the Jr. Graphic Designer will be a key contributor to the in-house Creative team, shaping creative project development and producing creative solutions that aligns with CIFAR’s brand messaging.
In close collaboration with the Editorial team, the materials are geared towards external and internal communications and must take into account the positioning, brand and strategic messaging, while meeting departmental partners expectations. The incumbent is required to manage the creative process and apply sound judgment in a matrix environment with multi-dimensional points of view.
- Collaborate and contribute fresh thinking on design, implementation and delivery of an exceptional branding image that will be included in all internal and external communication channels.
- Designing and executing on marketing collateral which includes, but is not limited to:
- Print publication, reports, and event collateral
- Website design and updates
- E-newsletters and email campaigns
- Presentation decks
- Environmental graphics
- Take part in brainstorming sessions on various creative opportunities that will help differentiate CIFAR from competition, while working within the Visual ID standards and style guidelines.
- Develop easy to use templates, presentations, PDF forms and other internal communications materials.
- Prepares and maintains electronic and hard-copy archives and records of projects.
- Maintains creative area, including graphics design supplies and equipment.
- Problem-solves on a daily basis, ensuring all project milestones are met.
- Working with suppliers such as printers and service bureaus to ensure quality of products and service, including overseeing press checks as needed.
- Participates in evaluations and post-mortems of projects and campaigns to ensure lessons learned are understood and assimilated for future projects.
- Work on special projects and other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Visual ID and Branding Guidelines Consultation and Support
- Must ensure that all visual content adheres to CIFAR’s brand standards, including look, feel, voice and tone.
- Contributes to CIFAR’s image and visual identity by advising internal departmental partners on appropriate use of corporate Visual ID and guidelines.
Photography and Related Project Coordination
- Edit, retouch and finesse images in Photoshop.
- Effectively organizes and maintains files for the Digital Asset Management (DAM) system archiving of photos, templates, ensuring appropriate credits are on file for photo re-use and sharing, where appropriate.
- Formal Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Graphic Design from an accredited university/college
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in a Graphic Designer role
- Provisional RGD designation considered an asset
- Experience creating pages and posts in Wordpress
- Experience using Mailchimp for e-newsletters and email campaigns
- Strong design portfolio that includes a variety of work and formats
- Excellent communication skills, ability to clearly explain design concepts and solutions and accept constructive feedback while providing constructive solutions
Considered an asset:
- Understand the importance of UX design and UX best practices
- Familiar with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) graphic design standards
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An in-depth understanding of graphic design principles with an eye for typography and traditional page layout
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop)
- Advanced skills using Google Office and the Microsoft Office Suite
- Fluent knowledge of Mac OS platform
- Attention to detail and an emphasis on accuracy and quality
- Demonstrate strong hand sketching ability with the ability to produce mock-ups and prototypes during the conceptualizing stage
- Ability to hit the ground running and work well under pressure and respond to fast changing priorities and deadlines
- Ability to manage complex projects with multiple stakeholders, influencing stakeholders, negotiate timelines, track project progress, provide account management to stakeholders to ensure projects run smoothly, prioritize deliverables, and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A pulse on a design trends and best practices
- Known team player, committed to supporting the success of others by demonstrating a willingness to be attentive, understanding, responsive, fair, courteous and respectful, and to actively participate in maintaining a positive collaborative environment
A professional design portfolio must be submitted with your resume.
Length of Contract: 6 Months
Contact: Please send resume, cover letter, and portfolio in confidence to quoting Junior Graphic Designer in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is 12 am on November 21, 2019.
One of CIFAR's core cultural values is Diversity - we value diversity and aspire to be inclusive in all aspects of our work. CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer and is strongly committed to removing systemic barriers and biases, and by promoting the practice of inclusivity, so that all individuals have equal access to and benefit from the work we do. We encourage applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES - CIFAR is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the Ontario Human Rights Code. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email and include the term 'Accessibility' in the Subject Line, or call 416-971-4251. Please provide your name, preferred contact method, and a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require. Please include any materials or processes that may be used to ensure your equal participation.
CIFAR frequently communicates in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French where possible. Other languages are also considered an asset.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.