A Day in the Life of an RGD: Kari Silver
Name: Kari Silver
Company Name: AZURE Magazine
Job Title: Assistant Art Director
2. What’s the first thing you do when you get to work?
I make a cup of caffeinated tea (David’s Tea is the best!) and check my emails.
3. Of all of the tasks you complete during the day, what is your favourite?
Finishing layouts and getting approvals for each issue are among my favourite tasks because my first love has always been editorial design and it’s always a great feeling when the editorial and art department are equally happy with a design. It’s even better when you see it freshly printed in a brand new issue.
4. Are there any tasks that you like to do at the end of the day? That you feel you must do before you leave?
I usually like to make a to do list at the end of the day so that I start the morning off on the right foot. I also make sure to tie up any loose ends via email.
5. How has your job changed over the last year, if at all?
I was promoted this year so I’ve taken on a lot of new responsibilities including co-managing projects, teaching new staff and spearheading the art for our annual awards event.
6. What is one thing you wish you knew when you started your career?
Nothing can ever be perfect. You just have to eventually get to a point where you’re happy enough to let it go, otherwise you will continue to obsess over every detail and it will never end. Also, be prepared to wear many hats. I do editorial design, branding, marketing, web design/coding, social media, events and more.
7. Can you provide an image of a project (or something else) you are currently working on?
Below is our save the date image for our Designer of the Year competition which I also did the branding for.