The Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD) is pleased to announce the recipients of the 2020 Student Awards.
TORONTO, CANADA, September 29, 2020 – The Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD) is pleased to announce the recipients of our 2020 Student Awards.
The RGD's Student Awards program brings industry professionals together with emerging designers to promote excellence and encourage the next generation of design professionals to the highest levels of creativity, innovation and conceptualization. This year the RGD received 812 entries from 400 design students attending 41 post-secondary schools across Canada.
"I am truly astonished at the quality of work design students are producing in this era. I can't imagine what they will accomplish in 5, 10 and even 20 years on the professional stage," says Faron Dawe RGD, Vice President & Chair, RGD Education Committee. "I would like to congratulate all of the winners of this year's awards. Thank you to all of the students who entered, their educators who teach, guide and inspire them and the industry leaders for supporting the up and coming designers of our future."
To date, the RGD has distributed over $343,000 in cash awards to design students in recognition of their outstanding achievements. Thank you to the generous industry leaders who sponsored this year's winning entrants with prizes of $1,000 each.
10 Winners of Awards of Excellence:
- Liam Kennedy Student RGD, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, "The Folk Ales Beer Series" - 52 Pick-up Award for Typography (Print)
- Jan Ly Student RGD, York University/Sheridan College, "2face" - Bell Media Award for Typography (Digital)
- Brynn Staples Provisional RGD, Capilano University, "Muse" - Forge Media + Design Award for Story-telling
- Madison Dumas Provisional RGD, York University /Sheridan College, "Standard" - Gravity Inc. Award for Social Good Design
- Silvia Cordero Provisional RGD, George Brown College, "Vineon Guide" - Haft2 Award of Colour
- Jessica Lau Provisional RGD, York University/Sheridan College, "An editorial experience; taking a look at systemic racism" - Premise Award for Strategic Design
- Samantha Beauchamp and David Ratcliffe, Humber College, "Traffic Jams" - Quake Award for Creative Innovation
- Jasmine Acebes, York University/Sheridan College, "The Well" - Quarry Award for UX Design
- Cheston Sin Provisional RGD, York University/Sheridan College, "Lrrrics – A music app for learning languages" - Quarry Award for UX Design
- Danica Koller, Capilano University, "Ellie" - Zync Award for Concept Development
15 Winners of Awards of Specialty:
- Kylie Woo, Vancouver Community College, "American Sign Language Promotion Poster" - BOLD Awards for Accessible Design
- Anushka Todi, York University/Sheridan College, "anushkatodi.design" - .design Award for Self-Promotional Website
- Lucy Laughland Student RGD, OCAD University, "3D Kazuo Ishiguro Book Covers" - Domtar Award for Print Design
- Rachel Wong Student RGD, Capilano University, "Tanisi: Aboriginal Language Learning App for Youth" - Entro Award for Placemaking Design
- Josie Guenther Provisional RGD, Red River College, "Being Good Magazine Spreads" - G&S Award for Editorial Design
- Natalie Almosa Student RGD, York University/Sheridan College, "Bata!" - Greenmelon Award for Packaging Design (Single)
- Rachel Wong Student RGD, Capilano University, "Coin: Financial App for Young Adults" - Milestone Award for Digital Marketing Design
- Courtney Lamb, Capilano University, "Quakeable" - Pivot Award for Information Design
- Jennifer Power Student RGD, Algonquin College, "A Viral Infographic" - Pivot Award for Information Design
- Hillary Chen Provisional RGD, York University /Sheridan College, "Our Solar System" - Polyester Award for Motion Design
- Samantha Mok Provisional RGD, Centennial College, "In Dogs We Trust" - q30 design Award for Brand Design
- Sara Veronica Alas Alvarez Student RGD, Mohawk College, "El Poder Beer Packaging" - SLD Award for Packaging Design (Series)
- Deborah Khodanovich Provisional RGD, OCAD University, "Club AM" - Tony Jurgilas Award for Logo Design
- Myah Stover Provisional RGD, Conestoga College, "Human Activism Campaign" - Works Design Award for Web Design
- Binh Luu Provisional RGD, Humber College, "Let the message wait" - Zulu Alpha Kilo Award for Advertising Design
Check out the winning entries in the video below:
About the Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD)
Representing over 4,100 design practitioners, including firm owners, freelancers, managers, educators and students, the RGD is a non-profit organization that promotes industry knowledge sharing, continuous learning, research, advocacy and mentorship.