We believe in creative as a force for good. Want to join us?
Who we are looking for:
On the Hyphen team, versatility is essential. Our clients come from a variety of backgrounds and industries – finance, manufacturing, NGO, environmental, travel, real estate, technology, and education – so our team and our work need to be fluid and flexible. For this role, we are looking for a multi-faceted graphic designer who is comfortable in corporate communication design, brand and identity, and web design. This designer should be able to jump between a range of styles according to the need; from corporate to kitsch, grunge to swiss, anti design to minimalist.
It’s also important that you have strong attention to detail. We believe that great design involves understanding both content and context while paying close attention to all the little details. There are certainly times for breaking the mould, so it would be great if you also have an instinct for when this is appropriate.
What else? You have a can-do attitude and ability to handle production work. We’re seeking someone who can jump smoothly and willingly from high-level design thinking to top-quality design production.
Lastly, we’d love it if you have a strong interest outside of work. Do you have a side hustle, hobby or other creative outlet? We’d love to hear about it!
We recognize that every individual has a unique career path and that experience comes in many forms. In general, these are some of the types of experience we are looking for you to bring to this role:
- Strong print media design
- Strong typography understanding and appreciation
- Experience working directly with clients (i.e. presenting/explaining your work to someone external)
- Experience in web design, including understanding of UI/UX and WordPress
- Ability to estimate and stick to work timelines while juggling multiple projects
- Registered Graphic Designer (RGD) certification and/or relevant degree (both would be great!)
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, GSuite, Microsoft Office, Asana
- 3 years of full-time work experience with an agency and/or freelance work
Ongoing client work:
- Taking a proactive creative design approach to current work: seeing something inspirational and knowing when and how to apply it
- Reviewing existing design assets and making recommendations
- Ability to use existing brand guidelines and produce marketing and sales collateral, including template designs for factsheets, proposals, client reports, PowerPoint presentations, business cards and stationery, visuals, digital whitepapers, infographics and more
New client work:
- Designing brand identity systems, with direction: an ability to understand the vision and execute on it with creative versatility
- Drafting creative concepts (e.g. brand refresh, brand guidelines, marketing and sales collateral, social media elements,)
- Creating website themes, layouts and designs based on wireframes
- Iterating design changes and versioning
- Presenting and explaining creative concepts to our creative director
- Creative execution to support Hyphen’s marketing initiatives, including:
- Creative ideation and execution of branded design collateral
- Designing social media posts showcasing our work, ideas, concepts, etc.
- Exploring new design channels for Hyphen (e.g. video, motion graphics, etc.)
What to expect
At Hyphen, we’re a tight-knit team. So, although we greatly value professional skills and expertise, fit with our culture comes first. To learn more about what that looks like, please visit our website at hyphenco.com
What’s in it for you:
- Transparent working environment that supports creativity, individuality, sustainability, health and wellness
- Mentorship by an accomplished creative director
- Flexible hours (following probation period) based on 40 hours per week
- Ability to work from home
- Annual education budget
- Annual giving-back and community involvement program with the ability to take time off to contribute to a cause
- Attractive vacation benefits
Your next steps:
- Connect with us through
- Provide a cover letter in the body of your email or as an attachment
- Include your resume
- Share your creative portfolio
- Include 1 professional reference, 1 personal reference and 1 volunteer/ extracurricular reference
- If there’s a best time for us to get in touch, let us know
Thank you for your time and effort!