RGD's 2022 Student Awards will open in early February 2022.
RGD is also proud to launch the new Student Trailblazer Awards. Together with our generous sponsors, we will celebrate and recognize the unique journeys and barriers many students face as they develop their design skills. An additional $5,000 has been allocated for this fund.
PARTICIPATE IN RGD'S STUDENT AWARDS TO:
- 21 Student Award-winner will each receive $750 cash Award, Awards Certificate, recognition across RGD communications channels and a free RGD Membership until the end of 2023
- Approx. 5 Student Trailblazer Award-winners from under-represented and marginalized communities will each receive a cash prize (TBD) and recognition across RGD communications channels and a free RGD Membership until the end of 2023
- Approx. 75 Students who are Honourable Mentions will receive an Awards Certificate and recognition as well as exemption from the portfolio review required for Provisional RGD Membership
- All entrants will receive constructive feedback on their work from among our 100+ judges
- Any work by an eligible Student may be submitted. Please review the descriptions of the Awards below to determine in what categories your projects best fit.
- Entrants are limited to no more than 1 entry in any one category except: .design Award, Accessible Design Award, Motion Award, Web Award, UX Award, Indigenous Design Award and Placemaking Award which can all have up to 5 entries from the same student.
- There is no entry fee if you are a Student RGD Member or Junior Affiliate Member of the RGD. Non-Members pay an entry fee of $30.
- Students at the undergraduate level enrolled between September 2021 and August 2022 (Students must have less than one year of professional work experience in design. Students cannot be enrolled at a postgraduate level except for 3 Awards)
- Post-graduate students can enter the Accessibility, UX and Motion Awards only.
- Students can be attending public and private institutions if listed as a designated learning institution by the Canadian Government or can be attending public institutions outside of Canada if the Student is a Canadian citizen.
(1) Go to our Judgify Awards Page.
(2) Click 'Submit an Entry' and create a New User account. (Note: an RGD Member login will not work. Create a new account to log in to Judgify)
(3) Submit entries through the online submission form.
(4) For each project you enter, define the client and/or target audience. Describe how your design solution is relevant to them.
(5) Certain Awards require additional rational information related to the specifics of the Award.
(6) For each entry, submit no less than 1, no more than 6, images of your project (1,000 pixels wide across recommended sizing).
(7) If you are submitting a website or motion graphic, ensure that a URL to the project or a movie file is uploaded.
Award-winning creative professionals from across Canada will select the winning work. RGD will notify winners in September.
AWARDS / CATEGORIES
52 Pick-up Award for Typography - any project that uses typography to achieve its goals.
Context Creative Award for Storytelling Design - any project that communicates and engages with a strong sense of narrative and purpose, combining words, images, graphics and your choice of media.
.design Website Award - a website that is submitted on a .design URL (available free for RGD Student Members) that promotes the individual entrant and/or a personal project, cause or initiative. Switch out your current .com or .ca domain to .design to qualify for this category! Just tell your hosting provider to 'point' to your new domain or contact for more information.
Design de Plume Award for Indigenous Design - any project influenced or inspired by indigenous design, art and culture.
Domtar Award for Print Design - any project designed to be presented in the print medium.
Entro Award for Placemaking Design - any project that helps build community through design interventions. This might be a poster for an event, a website for a tourist destination, a wayfinding system for a university or the design of a retail space.
Forge Media + Design Award for Logo Design - any project that is intended to represent and identify a company, product, service or organization and its essence graphically to be applied consistently across all visual materials representing that company, product, service or organization.
Gravity Inc Award for Social Good Design - any project that provides value to the community and/or helps to solve a local or global challenge.
Greenmelon Award for Packaging Design (Single) - any project designed to enclose, protect and promote a single product for sale.
Haft2 Award for Colour - any project that uses colour to achieve its goals.
Intent Award for Accessible Design - any project that applies accessible design principles in the development of the design solution.
Nurun Award for UX Design - any project that applies UX design principles.
q30 Award for Brand Design - any project that involves a visual set of associations representing a company, product, service or organization.
Pivot Award for Information Design - any project that involves the design of clear, concise and visually attractive materials that enhance how people read, understand and use complex and/or detailed information.
Premise Award for Strategic Design - any project that uses strategy to achieve its goals.
Quake Award for Creative Innovation - any project that applies unique and visionary solutions to the design process, products or interactions.
SLD Award for Packaging Design (Series) - any project designed to enclose, protect and promote a series of products for sale.
SLD Award for Retail Design any project the design for a physical store or as well as a virtual store created in the digital environment.
VFS Award for Motion - any project designed to communicate complex data and content in a visually appealing way that is easier to understand and use.
Works Design Award for Web Design - any website that communicates a company or organization's mission, objectives, products and services.
Zulu Alpha Kilo Award for Advertising Design - any project created to promote a specific business, program, event or special offer.
Certificate Sponsor: Pomegranate Letterpress