Intermediate Graphic and Signage Designer - Toronto
FORREC is looking for a creative and versatile Intermediate Graphics Designer with a passion for storytelling and visual communication. The incumbent will be responsible for a wide variety of in-house and client graphic design projects including environmental graphic design, signage + wayfinding, exhibit graphics, branding + visual identity design, custom illustrations, print collateral, marketing support, proposals and presentations. The designer will work as a key partner on fast-paced interdisciplinary teams of architects, landscape architects, visual creatives, and interior designers. Reporting to the Director – Graphic Design Studio, you will also work closely with various Project Managers and other graphic designers.
Our ideal candidate is a passionate and motivated designer with a minimum of five (5) years of signage and wayfinding experience. You will be required to co-ordinate multiple deadlines in a fluid work environment and communicate with internal and external project team members and clients. The role requires a self-starter with excellent time management skills, attention to detail, leadership skills, professional ethics and strong communication skills.
Why work with us?
Designers come to FORREC because our projects are like nothing they’ve worked on before in traditional design environments. Creativity is our lifeblood, and we draw from the talents of five studios to get the best results. We want people who challenge the every day.
- Create outstanding design solutions that adhere to graphic design best practices.
- Design and specify components of signage for fabrication, complete with design intent specifications, details and sections.
- Collaborate with other studios/disciplines to execute collateral creation projects.
- Ensure designs follow project schedules and quality standards.
- Recommend techniques, methods, and media best suited to produce desired visual effects and successfully achieve required design results.
- Discuss and/or articulate schedule, concepts and/or rough sketches with the Director - Graphic Design Studio and/or Project Managers.
- Ongoing communication with the project manager(s) regarding the progress of assigned projects, ensuring adherence to timeline, deadline and budget.
- Mentor, assign and supervise the activities of interns and junior graphic designers on selected projects
- Enthusiastically participate and contribute to office activities, initiatives and learning programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Graphic Design from an accredited University/College or foreign equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years’ (post-graduate) related experience as a Graphic Designer, specifically with signage and/or wayfinding experience.
- Conceptually strong and creative design skills
- Exceptional design sense with the ability to integrate messaging, colour, imagery, and typography -into two- and three-dimensional spaces.
- Able to sketch and illustrate digital concepts proficiently in Adobe Illustrator and/or by hand.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills.
- Knowledge of accessibility guidelines, including the ADA an asset.
- Knowledge of architectural signage + wayfinding strategies and solutions including fabrication and mounting details would be an asset.
- Basic understanding of architectural plans an asset.
- Illustration and animation skills are an asset.
- Proficiency in Adobe CC/CS Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
- Proficiency in MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Proficiency in CAD Tools or desire to learn
- Knowledge of Adobe CC/CS After Effects or other motion graphics/animation software an asset
- 3D modelling software knowledge an asset
- Understanding of SketchUp or Revit an asset