Kirk & Co. provides private and public organizations with targeted and effective services in strategic communications, consultation and engagement, stakeholder relations, media relations, event management, and graphic design.
We specialize in policy, planning, and infrastructure projects of all shapes and sizes. Our clients include organizations in both the public and private sectors, such as the City of Vancouver, TransLink, Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, CN Rail, Canadian Pacific, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, a joint venture of the Canada Lands Company and Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations (MST Nations), and Teck Resources.
Led by the Art Director, our graphic services department also includes two full-time communications designers, and is responsible for the development of print, environmental, and digital materials for a variety of projects and clients. Common design projects include project branding, consultation and engagement material development (discussion guides, feedback forms, public meeting boards), print and digital advertising and notification, and environmental signage.
For more information about Kirk & Co., please visit kirkandco.ca.
The Art Director is responsible for the oversight and delivery of all graphic design tasks at Kirk & Co., as well as the management of the design team. A rough breakdown of required tasks is provided below, and could be enhanced subject to the experience and expertise of the successful candidate.
Design responsibilities (70%)
- Complete day-to-day graphic design work as required ensuring flexibility and adaptability with shifting priorities.
- Provide website design and development services, as the work arises and when appropriate to complete in-house.
- Complete animation design services, as the work arises and when appropriate to complete in-house.
- Establish the conceptual and creative direction for all design materials at the onset of a project.
- Create unique design solutions while adhering to client brand guidelines, industry standards and design best practice.
- Provide strategic design advice to senior team and attend strategy meetings as necessary.
- Stay up-to-date on advancements in accessibility design and legislation. Ensure materials posted online pass Acrobat Accessibility Check and manually check colour contrast.
- Provide oversight on the development of all design materials (ensuring brand guidelines are being followed, providing overall layout and design critique, ensuring materials are exported appropriately, and checking document accessibility).
- Oversee purchasing of stock photography, typography licenses and other products purchased on behalf of the client.
Design team management (20%)
- Delegate projects and responsibilities to the design team, and update scheduling daily as priorities and timelines change to ensure project deadlines are met.
- Manage, mentor and provide ongoing training for design team.
- Offer feedback where needed and encourage design team personal and professional development.
- Ensure design ethics are upheld through ongoing conversations around copyright and intellectual property rights. Identify potential areas of concern and how to communicate concerns around client/team requests.
- Conduct annual reviews for design team.
- Coordinate vacation requests among design team.
Design department management and business development (10%)
- Establish design department standards for production, workflow, file management, quality control and client service.
- Ensure design team adheres to current processes, identifying opportunities for continuous improvement, and utilizing processes and tools to support design operations (To Do task manager).
- Manage and maintain working and archive art files for all projects on sync and Kirk & Co. server.
- Seek out design specific RFPs and opportunities and prepare proposal responses as required.
- Determine need for subcontractors for overflow or design services outside of in-house capabilities.
- When working with subcontractors, develop comprehensive scope-of-work, deliverables, timelines and budget.
- Manage work with subcontractors to ensure deliverables and timelines are met.
- Manage and maintain the integrity of the Kirk & Co. brand.
- Maintain Kirk & Co. branded collateral, including team bio templates, overview documents, document templates, presentation graphics, business cards.
- Manage corporate websites and update regularly as needed, troubleshoot when issues arise, and manage hosting and domain renewals.
- Manage design department subscriptions.
- Manage the purchasing of design department supplies as necessary (laptops, tablets, etc.).
- Bachelor of Design or equivalent discipline with documented ongoing education
- 7-10 years’ experience in graphic design
- Experience working in a project environment is an asset
- Professional design certification preferred (CGD/RGD)
- Superior critical thinking skills
- Strategic knowledge of social media design requirements
- Comfort working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines for multiple clients
- Comfort delegating to and managing tasks with junior team members
- Superior teamwork ability
- Experience with regulatory processes (e.g., environmental assessment, utilities or security commission, etc.) is an asset
- Plain-language writing ability across print and digital platforms an asset
Reporting RelationshipThis position reports to the Chief Operating Officer at Kirk & Co.
Hours and Compensation
The position would be full-time (Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day). Some travel within and outside of Metro Vancouver and evening and weekend work will be required from time-to-time. Compensation would include competitive salary and health benefits, based on the experience of the successful candidate.
How to ApplyIf you are interested in this exciting opportunity and believe your skill set and experience could enhance our team, please apply confidentially via LinkedIn or by letter and resume to to the attention of Chris Chok, Chief Operating Officer and Partner.
We thank you for your interest in Kirk & Co., but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.