At Pilot Coffee, the Creative Director is responsible for the visual application of the Pilot brand, and how it is consistently represented, and delivered, across all of our products, services and divisions. This role will work closely with leaders across the entire business, collaborate directly with the Online and Marketing teams, as well as manage a talented team of creative thinkers to develop design solutions and engaging content that meets the expectations of our customers.
*All applicants are required to submit their most recent portfolio of work with their application*
- Own, execute, update, and advocate for the Pilot Brand Guidelines
- Work directly with the executive team to make sure the business goals and brand strategy is being met through the creative execution
- Lead the creative team, providing insight, review and direction to all creative work produced – from concept ideation to final art
- Manage the day-to-day and long-term schedules, briefs and projects for the creative team, assigning workload and monitor deadlines
- Create integrative creative initiatives in collaboration with various stakeholders and divisions across the company
- Direct brainstorming meetings and creative sessions
- Continuously research the creative landscape and industry competitors; identifying trends, keeping up-to-date with new technologies and techniques, and assessing data for growth opportunities
- Coordinate directly with the Online and Marketing teams to develop new creative content
- Work with outside creative agencies, brand collaborators and the media to ensure brand usage is consistent with our values, voice, and brand personality
- Oversee and manage vendors, contractors and third-party suppliers, overseeing the requirements for additional creative support where needed, and working with printers and manufacturers to ensure the correct use of die-lines and materials
- Assist with the development and planning stages of new branded products and services
- Actively involved in the hiring, training and development of the creative team
- Have an understanding of and commitment to the mission and values of Pilot Coffee Roasters
Skills and Qualifications:
- Completion of post-secondary education in Graphic Design, or a related field
- Minimum 10 years experience in a Graphic Design role, working with a strong, established brand identity
- A multi-disciplinary / multi-functional designer
- Previous experience managing a creative team; crafting and directing all creative outputs, developing briefs, overseeing schedules and leading projects – Production management skills considered an asset
- Strong competency in all core design platforms (Adobe C-Suite; Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign)
- A conceptual thinker with an eye for detail
- Ability to work quickly, and consistently execute high quality design-to-market ideas
- An inspiring and collaborative leader, who continues to push the boundaries with innovative design thinking, and maximizes the talents of the creative team
- A strategic designer, with the ability to focus on the finer details while always considering the bigger picture
- Strong sense of brand, and how to deliver a consistent branded Pilot experience across multiple products, services, divisions, touch-points and offerings
- Experience in crafting compelling storytelling through design – copywriting skills considered an asset
- Proven work experience in digital design; CMS platforms (eg; Shopify or BigCommerce), Automated Marketing software, UX/UI, loyalty apps, and bringing a brand to life consistently across all digital touch-points
- Strong Art Direction and image retouching skills
- Deep understanding of how all social media channels perform, and how to build out branded campaigns within these platforms
- Previous experience in packaging design – understanding of CPG requirements considered an asset
- Retail and spatial design experience are considered an asset
- Experience using Google App Suite and iOS system are considered an asset
- Business Awareness - Stays informed of what’s happening across the company and builds meaningful relationships with relevant stakeholders in order to effectively carry out their job duties
- Technical & Professional Knowledge - Possesses a strong knowledge of the company’s product offerings, and systems and processes to carry out responsibilities effectively; Stays on top of trends in area of expertise
- Problem Analysis - Able to identify a problem, seek information to solve the problem, and gather relevant stakeholders to ensure an effective solution is implemented
- Planning & Organizing - effectively handles multiple demands and competing priorities
- Attention to Detail - thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all areas involved, no matter how small
- Teamwork & Collaboration - cooperates with other team members to achieve personal, team, and company goals
- Communication Skills - expresses oneself in a clear and compelling way when using all mediums of communication, such as in conversation, presentations, documents, digital copy, and email.
- Flexible + Adaptable to Change - Open to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one's preferred way of doing things; Maintain effectiveness in varying/new environments with different tasks, responsibilities and people.
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION + COMPANY PROFILE
Pilot Coffee Roasters is committed to building and fostering an environment where everyone feels included, valued and heard. We aim to provide a barrier free experience for those looking to join our team and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and / or people with intersectional identities. Accommodations are available on request for people taking part in aspects of the recruitment process. People requiring accommodation(s) during the recruitment process, can notify their recruiter directly.
Pilot Coffee Roasters is a full-service specialty coffee roastery, cold brewery, training provider and cafe operator with multiple locations across Toronto and wholesale accounts from coast to coast. We focus on Direct Trade partnerships that positively impact the communities at origin, and roast coffees at the vanguard of innovation to offer an unparalleled sensory experience. Our passion for great coffee and commitment to quality remains at the heart of everything we do. Visit pilotcoffeeroasters.com for more information.
- Growth 500, Canada's Fastest Growing Companies 2019
- RGD In-House Design Awards 2019, Award of Merit for Branding and Packaging
- Great Place to Work Certified 2019, and recognized on the following sub-lists; Best Workplaces for Inclusion, Best Workplaces for Millennials, Best Workplaces Managed by Women, Best Workplaces in Manufacturing, Best Workplaces in Ontario, and Best Workplaces for Women.
Please note that we will only be contacting applicants who have been selected to move forward in the interview process. No recruitment agencies please.
You can apply online here.