At ACI, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to promote the study of an inclusive multi-vocal Canadian art history to as broad an audience as possible, in both English and French, within Canada and internationally. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and people with intersectional identities.
Position Title: Design & Layout Associate
Job Type: Full time
Salary: Commensurate to experience
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Design & Layout Associate will assist with the creation of promotional and marketing materials as well as bilingual online art books and print books and education program materials and image preparation.
Specifically this position involves:
- Designing all marketing material and event material, including pamphlets, press releases, brochures, catalogues, Mailchimp layouts, and posters according to design briefs and templates.
- Designing Board and donor presentations and materials according to design briefs and templates, as well as stewardship materials.
- Assisting with the following stages of ACI’s online and print book production: working on beta-site layouts (texts and images); entering proofreading corrections; image correction and pre-press preparation; creating PDFs; and other production tasks as required.
- Preparing print book proofs, as well as final print files.
- Assisting with the ACI’s templated weekly newsletter and education newsletters.
- Assisting with preparing social media designs for both the main account and education account.
- Assisting with other additional layout and design and website tasks as needed.
- 3+ years experience working in graphic design/art departments
- Demonstrable experience following creative briefs and in-house style guides
- Demonstrable experience designing both online and print projects
- Demonstrable experience working with printers and preparing files for print
- Advanced skills with the Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign and Photoshop
- Advanced knowledge of typography, layout, and art direction
- Demonstrable experience working in a CMS (such as Wordpress, Square, Wix, and Squarespace)
- Strong familiarity with Mailchimp
- Ability to quickly learn new tools and software
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organization and time-management skills with ability to prioritize effectively
- Strong interest in or knowledge of Canadian art history or Indigenous art is an asset
- French reading skills are an asset
- Publishing certificate is an asset
Please submit your CV and cover letter, names of references, and your portfolio to the attention of Jocelyn Anderson, Deputy Director, , by September 24, 2021. In cover letters, candidates should highlight the following information: experience in designing publication projects; experience with web design; and interest or experience with Canadian or Indigenous art.
We thank all interested candidates but only those considered will be contacted.