WCD Creative is a boutique design agency known for crafting holistic design solutions that help our clients solve their unique business challenges. Based in Calgary, we work with organizations – from small businesses to large enterprises – using data-driven insights, innovative technology, and strategic creative design to provide highly effective marketing solutions. Backed by WCD’s robust print, signage production, and managed services capabilities, the agency provides end-to-end creative services from concept to completion.
The ideal Production Artist/Junior Designer (PAJD) will collaborate closely with the WCD Creative team and execute the design with a keen eye for detail and the ability to accurately proof for text and layout accuracy.
Specific responsibilities include production design and typesetting, meticulously applying design changes to each project, and checking accuracy and quality of a file before its publication – all while handling an array of projects at any given moment. The role also requires the ability to foster strong and trusted relationships with our clients and to deliver unique creative solutions for both print and digital platforms.
WCD Creative is a small team of respected creative and entrepreneurial professionals who value innovation, forward-thinking design and a work environment that promotes collaboration and creativity. The PAJD must instill and monitor the application of company values; excellence, integrity, communication, teamwork and energy.
This is a high-paced, responsive, and collaborative environment, so a sense of “team” and “urgency” is a must.
Upward: Studio Manager / Senior Designer, WCD Creative
Direct Reports: None
- Collaborates closely with art directors, designers, and developers to carry out the execution and fulfilment of a design from concept to completion
- Assists creative team in producing designs that meet clients’ specific brand requirements
- Develops digital assets for website design, mobile applications, and social media
- Creates well-designed and user-friendly Microsoft PowerPoint and Word templates
- Produces interactive motion graphics and animations
- Prepares final press-ready files for several types of printing
- Communicates directly with clients, including following-up on project-related matters
- Develops strong, trusted relationships with clients and colleagues
- Keeps good client records and project documentation
- Follows process to meet design requirements within pre-determined timeline and budget
- Supports extended WCD teams to coordinate print and integrated campaigns
- Participates in internal team brainstorming sessions
- Balances internal work demands with external client projects
- Works with WCD Marketing to contribute to social media that promotes WCD Creative
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma from an accredited program and 2+ years in an agency environment.
Skills and Competencies
To effectively fulfill the role of PA, the following competencies are required:
- Extensive experience working in:
- Adobe CC including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
- Adobe After Effects and Animate
- Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Exceptional capability with typography, layout, and prototyping
- Strict attention to detail and well-organized
- Outstanding project management, file-organization and archiving skills
- Technical expertise to ensure artwork is production-ready and delivered on time, every time
- Clear understanding and experience of Direct Mail best practices is an asset
- Excellent listener, communicator and team player who is open to constructive feedback
- Ability to balance competing priorities and multiple projects, while meeting strict deadlines
- Experience with accounting and/or time tracking systems (i.e., PACE)
- Experience with digital, web-based, and/or website creative design
- Knowledge of web development languages and digital interfaces is an asset
The position is located in Calgary. The corporate work environment is described as professional, high energy, high velocity, responsive, collaborative, and team oriented. Standard hours of operation are 8:30am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Demands may require work hours outside of standard hours of operation. Some travel may also be required.
This job description is intended to provide an overview of expected job responsibilities and accountability within this position and title. It is not a declaration of a total, exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities for any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.