About SHCS and the Marcom team
Student Housing and Community Services (SHCS) provides essential and outstanding campus resources that support and enhance UBC. Comprised of the UBC Bookstore, Campus Mail, Child Care Services, Conferences and Accommodations, Food Services, Parking and Access and Student Housing, SHCS is one of the most dynamic and largest self-funded ancillary services in the North American academic landscape.
The SHCS Marketing Communications team is a talented group of creative professionals who collaborate with our colleagues in SHCS departments to deliver remarkable results. Our team has expertise in strategy, marketing, communications, brand management, communications design, events, and more, and includes people on both the Vancouver and Okanagan campus.
Why Work for Us?
- Dynamic, friendly and inspiring workplace environment
- Competitive salary and outstanding benefits
- Generous vacations and leaves
- Development and training opportunities
- Wellness initiatives and a respectful work environment
- Opportunity to work in a variety of stakeholders on Campus
- Flexible working schedule
- Full and part-time positions available
- Strong sustainability values and practices
The SHCS Communications Designer is responsible for the branding and design of digital and print communications that support and enhance the student experience. Working with units in SHCS, the Designer applies an audience-centered design process to deliver digital, traditional and experiential communications projects that align with unit goals and which support key areas identified in the UBC Student Strategic Plan. This position requires a strong attention to detail, creativity, and the ability to adhere to tight deadlines, and deliver key projects.
- Develop branding and visual concepts along with digital and print materials that support student-facing communications mainly for UBC Food Services and Student Housing.
- Create print materials such as brochures, menus & signage, from concept to print production.
- Create designs for websites & social media, and work with programmers to finalise projects.
- Create brand identities and related environmental signage and communications materials.
- Discuss projects with the SHCS Marketing Communications team to clarify subject material, design objectives, and provide recommendations on selection of media and project direction.
- Showcase design concepts for internal team review, and welcome constructive feedback.
- Advise departments on best practices in design strategies and implementation.
- Stay abreast of current trends and new developments in visual design with an eye to extending the University’s reputation and finding new opportunities for communication.
- Adhere to UBC brand guidelines and contribute to internal design style guides.
- Carry out creative research and exercise initiative, resourcefulness and judgment.
- Manage own workload, and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Assess own performance and report on project status to senior staff.
- Make moderately complex decisions, and find solutions to challenges.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum of four years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
A full list of required skills, qualifications and experience can be found here.
You can also check out the Residence Map http://vancouver.housing.ubc.ca/getting-started/residence-map/ to see where our buildings are located on campus.
*Please apply to job requisition JR7626 on the UBC Careers site Search for Jobs by May 18, 2022.