We create national engagement programs, corporate communications, strategies, identities, websites, advertising campaigns, annual reports, magazines, posters, product packaging, motion graphics, videos, exhibitions, displays, and this one time we hand-crafted a miniature recreation of Michael Jackson's Thriller.
Who we are
We are small and mighty.
We are creative, curious and thirsty.
We are thinkers, doers, problem-solvers, and dreamers.
We believe in humanity.
We value company culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We check our egos at the door.
We have a good sense of humour.
We work hard.
We play hard.
And we have a good time doing both.
The open door
We are searching for a wildly creative, energetic human with a passion for design and leadership to fill the role as Creative Director on our team. We’re looking for someone who’s a heavy-hitter in design, digital projects (sophisticated websites), branding, and campaigns (digital-centric, multi-platform). You will deliver outstanding design solutions and strategic thinking to both our clients and team members. You will bring with you — stellar presentation skills, proven problem-solving abilities and passion for your craft. You will check your ego at the door and arrive ready to lead through collaboration and mentorship.
What you’ll be doing…
- Oversee and manage quality assurance of all creative output
- Work closely with account managers and strategists to understand and meet our client’s needs
- Work in close collaboration with the Technology team to develop innovative UX/UI designs and interfaces for websites and applications
- Cultivate client relationships
- Contribute to new business proposals, and lead client presentations, discovery sessions and regular team meetings
- Oversee multiple projects at one time, from concept and ideation through to execution and production
- Inspire creative excellence
- Develop and mentor team members
- Stay abreast of industry trends, software and tools
- Help define project scope and provide guidance on estimates and project budgets
- Manage day-to-day operations and productivity of the creative team, including establishing priorities, assigning tasks and resources and ensure project objectives, deadlines and budgets are met to maintain profitability
- Participate in weekly management meetings, contributing to new and refined processes, operational efficiencies, new business strategies, people development and company culture
- Manage and build integrated teams and resources, including but not limited to: art directors, designers, animators, freelancers, copywriters, developers, photographers, videographers and illustrators
- Manage our company’s brand; providing oversight to our external communications, website, social channels, presentation decks and document templates
- Participate in recruiting and hiring
- Invest in professional growth and development by participating in industry events, educational opportunities and networking
- Guide daily output of the creative team by overseeing design implementation, processes and creative solutions
- Connect with direct reports 1-1 on a weekly basis
- Conduct annual People Performance reviews with direct reports
- Manage timelines, budgets and resources for your team
- Contribute to thoughtful and motivating creative briefs
What you’ll bring…
The ability to develop big-picture ideas, while keeping an eye on the finest design details is crucial to this position. This role demands an ability to craft strategy, scope-out projects involving a large number of disparate media, solve problems creatively, steer the creative direction of design, digital and advertising projects, manage deadlines, work to budget and ensure our staffing resources in the creative department are adequate for the work-load. This person must be able to communicate their ideas visually, verbally, and in writing.
- Bachelors Degree in visual communications, design or equivalent
- Minimum 6 years of creative agency experience
- Minimum 3 years as a Creative Director or Creative team lead in an agency setting
- Exceptional understanding of typography, visual identity systems, colour theory, design fundamentals and UX/UI
- Expert understanding of design best practices
- Strong understanding of WCAG standards
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- An eye for motion and how to use it to compliment the design
- Strong leadership experience including mentoring and team management
Be prepared to discuss things like…
- Your personal philosophy on design and inspiring others to do their best work
- Your portfolio showcasing work that demonstrates your process, creative thinking, problem solving and ability to push boundaries
- Your most recent or favourite examples of visual identity systems
- Your approach to creating accessible design
Wifi signal mandatory, pants optional
Strut has embraced a flexible workplace and primarily conducts work remotely with the option to work from home or the Strut office based on individuals’ preferences. At times, in-person team and client meetings are required, but are determined and scheduled on an as-needed basis. For this role, the candidate must be available for occasional in-person team and client meetings.
We don’t want cookie-cutter Strutters
At Strut, we value diverse ideas and opinions to push ourselves and do our best work. We know the best way to achieve this is through developing an inclusive team with diverse life perspectives. Our bio page may not always reflect it, but we openly welcome anyone no matter their race, colour, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, or physical ability. Please feel free to be the unique you.
How to apply
Please submit your application through our website.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.