Clarington is an equal opportunity employer and a great place to build a career. We value teamwork, diversity and offer an environment where staff can grow and pursue advancement opportunities while making a difference to the community.
We are an equal opportunity employer
The Municipality of Clarington is a progressive employer committed to equity, inclusion and diversity within its community and organization. We are committed to building an inclusive and barrier-free environment for our team.
We are pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process or in performing your position should you be selected please contact the Human Resources Division at .
What the role entails
Reporting to the Manager of Communications, the Municipality of Clarington’s Communications Division is seeking a Temporary (one year contract) Communications Coordinator, who will be responsible for assisting in developing and supporting all Corporate internal and external communications messaging across Clarington’s various platforms, including the website and social media channels. The successful candidate will design marketing and advertising materials, including pamphlets, booklets, social media graphics and advertisements and will also be tasked with developing social media messaging to help inform residents and help promote various initiatives and programs. The position will assist in updating and editing Clarington’s website to ensure that content is up-to-date and reflects municipal priorities.
The following responsibilities and duties of this position include but are not limited to:
- Assist in the planning, design, marketing, production and distribution of municipal publications and advertisements.
- Responsible for the design of promotional materials for Municipal special events, meetings and publications.
- Assist with website postings, updates and changes as approved and directed by the Manager or Communications/Social Media Specialist.
- Assist in developing promotional strategies for Municipal initiatives, including any advertising promotional material, online media, and video creation.
- Develop social messages and content for social media as directed by Manager and/or Communications/Social Media Specialist
- Excellent written skills, including familiarity with the Canadian Press writing standards.
- Monitor all news coverage and social media about the Municipality and any ongoing projects or issues.
- Assist the Manager and Communications/Social Media Specialist in carrying out Communications Plans.
- Liaise with various departments to discuss their communications needs, and report back to the Manager to determine what actions and steps are necessary to assist.
- Assist in preparing communications materials for external consumption, including newsletters/media advisories/PSAs about the Municipality.
- Assist in the proofreading and vetting of all external and internal communications.
- Attend occasional Council or Committee meetings to take photographs, document and assess Council decision(s) for potential messaging to the public.
- Attend Municipal events and/or meetings to document and take photographs.
- Assist in maintaining and updating the Municipality’s online presence, including all social media accounts and website as directed.
- Coordinate and organize all materials for print productions, including weekly deadline-focused publications.
- Research and report on current industry trends and best practices for advertising and marketing efforts, including digital communications.
- Help identify skills training opportunities.
- Research and/or provide input into proposed new programs, technologies, software and creative opportunities for Communications to pursue.
- Liaise with departments and external customers to facilitate print productions or coordinate materials for events etc.
- May be required to assist with on-call or after-hours communications updates as assigned by the Manager.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Diploma from a post-secondary program in Graphic Design, Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, and Journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience to the satisfaction of the Manager of Communications.
- Must possess strong written and verbal communications skills, knowledge of Canadian Press writing guidelines, and proven editing skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in photography and video editing.
- Experienced in AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act), including in-depth knowledge of creating and converting accessible documents and PDFs.
- Demonstrated superior skills using the following software products: Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, as well as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Web design knowledge or experience using a web content management system.
- Willingness and availability to work flexible hours, which may include occasional evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
What we offer you
Salary: $56,535 - $70,504, Code 9 of the 2020 Inside Collective Agreement.
Additional information and requirements
Pre-employment testing for this position may include written and oral testing, to assist in determining the successful applicant. A passing score will be considered to be 60% on each test with the highest score considered in the award. The test is part of the hiring process and any materials created will not be used by the Municipality other than to determine the candidate's skill set.
Candidates chosen for an interview will be required to provide a portfolio demonstrating samples of design work as well as writing samples.
Prior to starting the position, the successful candidate must provide, at their own expense, a current (within the last 180 days) satisfactory criminal reference check from a Canadian Police Information Centre. Applicants who have been employed with the Municipality within the last year and have provided a criminal reference check within the last 365 days are exempt from providing another criminal reference check.
The Municipality of Clarington requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Valid exemptions pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. If contacted for an employment opportunity and you require accommodation under policy H-37 – Workplace COVID-19 Vaccination, please contact for additional information. Please note that resumes should not be sent to this email.
How to apply
To view this position and to submit your application online, please find the job posting in our Careers portal. Applications will be accepted until Friday, July 1, 2022, at 4:00 p.m.
This job competition number is File # 97-22
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Applicant information is collected under the authority of The Municipal Act, 2001 and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of evaluating the applicant. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Director of Legislative Services by calling 905-623-3379.