We are Steer and we help people, places and economies thrive. Steer is a global employee-owned business consultancy specializing in transportation, cities and infrastructure, with over 460 staff in 24 offices around the world.
We have an enduring commitment to generate success for our clients, for ourselves and for the communities which we support. A commitment that ultimately improves the way people live, work and travel.
At Steer North America, our consultants work to improve the outlook of our region, ensuring that our clients keep social and environmental impact in mind as they conduct their operations. We believe that actions speak louder than words, and therefore have annual measurable targets across all social impact areas, particularly DEI and sustainability. We have also committed to successfully operate as a Net Zero Carbon company by 2025, participating in the UN’s Global Compact.
About the role
Our Toronto office is looking for an experienced, motivated, self-starting, problem-solver and collaborative professional to fill our Senior Designer position. This person will be working in our Design for Movement team in the areas of transit and civic information design and wayfinding, which has contributed to our company’s ongoing success in Canada, the United States, and beyond.
This person will be a contributing member of Steer’s North American/International teams which is comprised of planners, engineers, economists, designers, financial modellers and technical specialists. In combination, these disciplines provide us with the breadth and depth to deliver integrated and innovative solutions to our many clients.
Our design unit brings together a mix of experts from wayfinding and industrial design to branding, cartography, and spatial analytics. We combine our understanding of people, context and function to deliver innovative, user-centred design which helps to make our cities, transport systems and public places understandable, accessible and enjoyable for all.
The Senior Designer will:
- Work alongside senior colleagues to conceptualize, develop, and deliver new graphic and information design projects
- Contribute to the delivery of existing design programmes across design and implementation phases
- Manage creative and technical work conducted by other team members to budget and quality expectations
- Support Steer’s design practice via client engagement and proposal development
- Mentor and manage the development of early career professionals
The Senior Designer will work in a demanding and enjoyable environment across projects in the fields of wayfinding signage, information design, cartography and visual identity, and provide wider support to our business in the design of documentation, presentations and infographics for a wide range of Steer’s projects and clients.
To review our portfolio of recent wayfinding and civic information design projects, visit our site.
About the candidate
At Steer, our employees are self-motivated, goal-oriented, and adaptive. Steer commits itself to providing our clients with the utmost quality of strategic and innovative advisement on some of the world’s largest transportation and infrastructure projects.
The ideal candidate for this role has:
- Experience in planning, managing and delivering complex wayfinding and information design projects
- The ability to work autonomously yet in collaboration with other colleagues and our clients
- The ability to provide our clients with design solutions and advice that combine creative flair and technical skill
All Steer employees seeking a full-time opportunity are encouraged to spend 60% of their time either in office or on-site with clients. An employee’s typical work week consists of 37.5 hours. Hours, expectations, and exemption status will be adjusted for any applicant seeking a part-time opportunity.
The preferred candidate for this role will possess some or all of the following attributes:
- 5+ years relevant experience in graphic design with significant expertise in information, environmental, or wayfinding design
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in graphic design or a related field
- Strong graphic and typographic skills
- Strong knowledge of signage and wayfinding strategies and solutions, including fabrication details and accessibility guidelines
- Experience with managing a team’s creative and financial deliverables to fit a client’s needs and expectations
- Experience developing successful bids/proposals
- An ability to take initiative and work independently
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- An ability to delegate, learn quickly and find enjoyment through the development of new skills
- Creative thinker/problem solver able to get to the 'essence’ of a brief quickly.
- Detail-oriented; able to multi-task and effectively prioritize workloads and meet strict deadlines
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Microsoft Office Suite on a Mac-based platform
Additional skills of merit include:
- 3D design, mapping, and/or BIM software skills
- Post-graduate qualification in graphic/information design or related field
- Certification from the Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD) or Design Professionals of Canada (CDP)
- Proficiency in French
You can apply online here.