Interactive Creative Lead, Google Brand Studio in San Francisco
(Judging Technology/Information Sectors)Wade works with a transdisciplinary team across brand design, marketing and cross-product initiatives to create the next great experiences from Google. This includes platforms such as Be Internet Awesome, an initiative designed to help kids be safe, confident explorers of the online world, an updated cloud storage solution called Google One and helping to relaunch Google Earth. Previously he was the executive creative director and VP of Product Innovation at R/GA, working on the Nike+ ecosystem of products. He also worked on brands such as Converse, Fossil, Louis Vuitton, Samsung, Toyota, Walmart and Zagat. Wade has been faculty member at the School of Visual Arts in New York for the last 5 years building the interactive department from two instructors to over 20. He graduated from Conestoga College and ArtCenter College of Design with a degree in Graphic Design.
- With 30 years’ experience as a freelance and in-house designer across the spectrum of sectors, Gay has worked with landscape architects to pop-up restaurants, and for major clients, such as Caterpillar Australia. Her passion is for creating impactful and resonating design that supports important public health messaging. Gay has demonstrated leadership in raising both designers’ and the community’s awareness of the importance of creating accessible design. Her focus on health promotion has included work with many community health services, non-profits and government projects during her role at the Health Promotion Unit, Health Department Victoria. Since 2005 Gay, as the only in-house designer for Dementia Australia, has collaborated with senior executive teams across countless state and national campaigns and projects. Most recently Gay developed the major rebrand for transition of the federation of Alzheimer’s Australia which unified in October 2017 as Dementia Australia, the one, national body for people living with dementia, their families and care providers.
Director, Creative & Branding, Shoppers Drug Mart in Toronto
(Judging Environmental & Packaging)Shelley is a Creative Director with over 18 years of experience in the design industry. As the Senior Director of Creative, Content and Social for Shoppers Drug Mart, she leads an internal team of art directors, graphic designers, production artists, copywriters, social media specialists and content leads. Shelley is responsible for the Shoppers Drug Mart brand across all customer touch points and engagement platforms. Over the course of Shelley's career, she has worked with many of Canada's leading ad agencies and developed strong connections within the design community.
Manager, National Design Studio at Deloitte in Vancouver
(Judging Branding & Editorial)
Donna is an innovative design leader with over 13 years of experience building and transforming ideas into brand experiences. She has a proven knowledge of brand, creative strategy, communication and management with an emphasis on client service excellence. At Deloitte, she works with a talented team of designers based all over Canada and overseas. She has been an in-house designer since she graduated from York University/Sheridan College Program in Design where she received her Bachelor of design with Honours. You will always see her with a smile on her face. When she isn’t designing, she can be found building robots with her son, playing hide and go seek or singing very loudly and out of tune in her car.
- With over 15 years of experience in the creative, advertising and retail industries, David knows a good thing when he sees it. A bursary from the marketing firm Y&R led to him to graduate with a bachelor’s degree from the Université du Québec à Montréal. This was followed by a stint at Paprika, where he worked on projects for Commissaires, Baronet, Les Allusifs, Dubuc, Infopresse and Maison Corbeil. Pursuing his interest in retail, David joined and then led creative in-house teams for Call It Spring, Globo Shoes, Hyba Activewear and Reitmans. Having gone from agency to client, and now back to agency, David has developed strong 360 creative strategies for individuals, companies and organizations.
Chris Govias is a Canadian designer who has spent the past decade in London, UK. He's worked with startups, charities, and Fortune 500 companies including Expedia, where he was a Design Lead. As Head of Design for the Ministry of Justice UK, he was on the forefront of delivering transformative, user-centred government services. He returned to Canada to become the first Chief of Design with the Canadian Digital Service, a new initiative from the Government of Canada to deliver simple, easy to use services for everyone in Canada.
- Grace has two decades of experience working with companies to leverage the power of design, bringing meaningful products and services to market and finding the intersection between what matters to people and how technology can help deliver it. Prior to Carrot, Grace spent 12 years at global innovation consultancy IDEO where she co-led the Food and Beverage practice and served as Executive Director of the Design for Health practice. In these roles, Grace led multi-disciplinary teams and collaborated with startups, non-profit organizations and Fortune 500 companies like Samsung, NASA, AARP, and ConAgra, helping them innovate through rapid prototyping and insight-driven design. She holds multiple patents and was awarded a Fast Company Innovation By Design Award for her work on the patient and employee experience for Planned Parenthood. Grace holds BSc degrees in mechanical engineering and product design from Stanford University.
- Gev is an Israeli-born designer who has lived in Germany and China. Educated in design, he began his career in the US. His design philosophy draws from a lifetime of travel and internal exploration and his upbringing in a family of visual artists. Now based in Toronto, Gev loves working with great people to solve tough problems. He believes that technology and design have propelled some of the most significant forces for good in the world, from branding to product he has led large and small teams, and made cool things for some companies and startups you might have heard of, like Drop, Wealthsimple, BrainStation and Konrad Group.
Creative Lead, OCS Ontario Cannabis Store in Toronto
(Judging Promotion/Campaigns & Editorial)Cris is a Toronto-based creative director who specializes in in-house design development and management. While working for the LCBO, she oversaw a multi-disciplinary team of graphic designers, photographers and production artists. Under her direction, the team created retail promotional campaigns for in-store and online channels, events graphics, packaging design and publications. In 2018, Cris joined the Ontario Cannabis Store as Creative Lead to head up the brand and visual design portfolio. Cris holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Design from the Ontario College of Art and Design.
- Vishu leads the in-house Creative Studio at the University of Calgary. This award-winning team has expertise in branding, design, art direction and project management, and is a trusted partner for marketing initiatives on campus. Vishu has evolved the thinking at the university to build brand awareness, enhance creative collaboration and foster a culture of openness and sharing. She is passionate about developing processes, systems and culture that enable meaningful brand experiences and interaction. She has worked in diverse industries including print production, environmental design and editorial design prior to joining the university in 2012.
- Jamie has led large-scale design efforts at Adobe for over 13 years, spearheading the company’s development of next-generation design tools through its transformation to a cloud-based software leader. Her experience goes beyond restructuring and redesigning applications, but to redefining Adobe’s business as well. In her role, Jamie aims to inspire the next wave of design leaders, encouraging her teams to push boundaries and develop skills that impact all aspects of business strategy and product creation. Jamie has championed Diversity and Inclusion initiatives at Adobe, and has a particular interest in Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and Immersive Experiences as they relate to design.
Manager, Design & Creative Communications, IG Wealth Management in Winnipeg
(Judging Financial/Professional Services)
Amanda has close to 20 years of experience in the in-house design industry. She manages IG Wealth Management's in-house design team and production team and works closely with a highly talented, cross-disciplinary marketing team. Amanda serves on the Board of the GDC, Manitoba Chapter (Graphic Designers of Canada), working as their Events Chair. On a personal note, she loves to spend time with her husband Brad and their twin 5-year-old daughters.
Head of Scenography and Media Production, Canadian Museum of History in Ottawa
(Judging Environmental & Print & Other)Working with museums and cultural institutions over the last 19 years, Eric has met the many challenges and demands associated with the world of creative direction, production and installation of exhibitions. During the course of his career, he acquired an intimate knowledge of museum practices, environmental design and architectural installation. Throughout his experiences, he has led multi-disciplinary teams to develop, design and execute promotional products, marketing campaigns featuring art, archaeology and historical collections. From 2013 to 2016, Eric oversaw the creative in-house team that implemented the first Muslim art museum in North America, the Aga Khan Museum. He has been at the Canadian Museum of History since 2016.
Graphic Designer, Confederation College in Thunder Bay
(Judging Educational & Government Sectors)Ian has over 20 years of experience in creative design. Starting his career in Toronto working on national and international print campaigns, Ian returned to his northwestern Ontario roots, producing materials for the tourism industry and establishing his own design business, Kuda Media. For the past nine years, Ian has been producing award-winning work at Confederation College, also teaching in the Interactive Media Development program to inspire the designers of tomorrow. Bringing a strategic, design-thinking approach to all of his projects, Ian focuses on achieving exceptional outcomes and influences the creative direction of Confederation’s local, provincial and international campaigns.
Director of Experience Design, Float in Chicago
(Judging Travel, Tourism, Sports & Entertainment - including Media)A customer and UX influencer, Evan started a sole proprietorship in college, working with international fashion brands like Gucci and Chanel. He then expanded his reach designing eCommerce and research experiences for Motorola and Google. Being an empathetic problem solver (and a true gearhead hobbyist) has made Evan a go-to for cracking complex problems for further brands like Microsoft, American Express, Fidelity and more. As Director of Experience Design, he works with globally distributed teams on the enhancement user and customer experience executions. He co-owns multiple technology patents comprising Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and innovative mobile app thinking. Though a dedicated family man, he still finds time to mentor designers around the world, consults on college design programs and reviews professional portfolios. He believes life is an experience in which you never stop learning.
Studio Director – Graphic Design at FORREC
(Judging Environmental and Promotions/Campaigns)Jessica Vitale is director of graphic design at FORREC, a global multidisciplinary design firm that specializes in entertainment design. She’s an award-winning designer whose conceptual thinking, creativity and design experience leads FORREC’s graphic design work in branding and brand activation, signage and wayfinding strategies, exhibit design, and other experiential graphics. Her user-centric design approach is foundational to the work Jessica and her team produce for major brands including Nickelodeon, LEGOLAND and Universal. Jessica brings a great depth of experience to projects through her diverse experience at several design firms including her most recent role as National Graphic Design Manager at DIALOG. In this role, she led a team that worked on redefining DIALOG’s brand identity and won an RGD InHouse Design Award in the process. She supported marketing efforts, as well as designed environmental graphics for corporate office environments, mixed use and retail. Prior to DIALOG, Jessica designed for several boutique graphic design studios in Toronto, working with many non-profit organizations. Jessica holds a Bachelor of Design from OCADU.
Senior Graphic Designer, McKinsey & Company in Vancouver
(Judging Financial/Professional Services)
Patrick is an experienced Senior Graphic Designer with a demonstrated history of working in the global management consulting industry. For most of his career, he has provided design, consultation, and project management services to client teams using a variety of creative methods. Examples include corporate presentation, publication, and proposal design, and print, web, and user-interface design. Patrick is currently designing for the McKinsey Global Institute, overseeing the implementation of a new visual identity.
- Pat’s passion for thoughtful design, arresting imagery and powerful story-telling has taken him from photography, to art direction, to creative direction at lululemon. From a young age, his influences ranged from Dieter Rams, Aaron Draplin and Peter Saville, to Fred Mortagne, Jeff Curtes and Spike Jonze. Working in his varied industry roles, he has affirmed his love for not just the creative product, but the creative process. Leading a team of more than 50 creatives, with oversight of brand and product campaigns, Pat lives and breathes the lululemon people-first philosophy. Originally from Ontario, he’s now firmly Pacific Northwest, and when not in the office you’ll find him cycling, surfing, camping, making music and hanging with wife and son.