TORONTO, CANADA, August 18, 2014 – On November 6 and 7, Toronto will be flooded with 2,000 creative professionals from across Canada and around the world attending the 15th annual DesignThinkers Conference, hosted by the Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD).
DesignThinkers is Canada’s premier conference for communication designers and strategists, advertisers and brand managers who believe that design is critical to effective, memorable communication and marketing.
"I am always amazed at how many high profile creatives come to DesignThinkers,” says RGD President Stüssy Tschudin. “Not only is it Canada's biggest design event of the year, but as a result of the speaker line-up, it receives international acclaim. It is an occasion to be inspired, energized and encouraged to push creative communications to new heights."
The campaign for this year's conference, developed by TAXI with illustration by Andrew Kolb, is premised upon 'The Awakening'. Designers are descendants of an extra-terrestrial race that must evolve in our ever-changing world or be rendered obsolete. DesignThinkers 2014 will be a mass reprogramming of minds drawn from out-of-this-world inspiration. A teaser video for the event may be viewed on Vimeo here.
- Charles Adler, co-founder of Kickstarter (USA)
- Philippe Apeloig, previously Art Director for the Louvre (France)
- Irma Boom, designer of “some of the most beautiful books to have been published in the last decade,” says the British Design Museum (Netherlands)
- Henry Hobson, creator of opening credits for The Walking Dead, Rango, Sherlock Holmes and Snow White & the Huntsman (UK)
- Mary Lewis, Founding Partner of Lewis Moberly, whose packaging clients include Beefeater, Häagen-Dazs, Johnnie Walker, Lindeman’s and Moët & Chandon (UK)
- Ellen Lupton, who received this accolade: “If graphic design has a sense of its own history, an understanding of the theory that drives it and a voice for its continuing discourse, it's largely because Ellen wrote it, thought it or spoke it.” (USA)
- Paula Scher, Pentagram Partner and creator of logos for such iconic brands as Tiffany & Co. and Citibank (USA)
- Erik Spiekermann, type designer whose work includes Nokia’s corporate typeface, Deutsche Bahn’s type system and the typeface for Firefox OS (Germany)
- Richard Turley, MTV’s first Senior VP of Visual Storytelling (USA)
- Jessica Walsh, Principal of Sagmeister & Walsh and mastermind of the blogging phenomenon ‘40 Days of Dating’ (USA)
- Willy Wong, Creative Director of New York City (USA)
- Andrew Zolty, creator of Instagram’s ‘Instaprint’ location-based photo booth (USA)
About the Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD)
Representing over 3,000 members, RGD is a non-profit organization that promotes industry knowledge sharing, continuous learning, research, advocacy and mentorship.
PRESS PASSES: Free registration is available to credentialed representatives of the press and professional bloggers.