We invite post-secondary students from across Canada (graduating between Apr 1, 2013-Oct 1, 2014) to join RGD as Student Members (at a cost of $25) at www.rgdontario.com/membership/student.php. Members of RGD and SDGQ Student Members enter for free.
This year, RGD will present $17,000 in cash awards in all areas of communication design. To enter submit your three best pieces. Students in Ontario will be considered for the two $1000 Awards of Excellence in their region in addition to the other Awards. Students outside Ontario will be considered for all of the nine awards of specialty. (Students may win up to $2,000 in cash awards in a given year.)
View last year's Student Award-winners here.
8 AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE ($1,000 each)
Northern Ontario (open to students at post-secondary institutions in 807 + 705 area codes)
- 50 Carleton Award
- TTC Creative Communication Award
Greater Toronto Area (open to students at post-secondary institutions in 416 + 905 area codes)
- Forge Design Award
- Taxi Canada Award
Eastern Ontario (open to students at post-secondary institutions in 819 + 613 area codes)
- Cinnamon Toast Award
- McMillan Award
Western Ontario (open to students at post-secondary institutions in 519 area code)
- Hagon Design Award
- Quarry Communications Award
9 AWARDS OF SPECIALTY ($1,000 each)
- Bell Media Award for Motion Graphics
- Bureau Award for Digital Marketing Design*
- Critical Mass Award for Web Design
- Entro G+A Award for Information Design
- Harlequin Award for Print Design
- Interbrand Award for Corporate Design
- q30 design Award for Brand Design
- Riordon Design Award for Typography
- Shikatani Lacroix Award for Packaging
* incl app design, digital/social media campaign design + interface design
RGD (and SDGQ) Student Members graduating between April 1, 2013 and October 1, 2014, are eligible to enter. Any student enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program in Canada is eligible for RGD Student Membership. Go to http://www.rgdontario.com/membership/student.php for details.
Students must fill out an online entry form and upload up to 3 PROJECTS in pdf format. (To be eligible for Awards of Excellence, you MUST submit 3 projects. For Awards of Specialty, one project is sufficient). Your PDFs must include a brief PROJECT RATIONALE.
PDF SUBMISSION SPECS
- Submit a PDF file with up to six pages
- Screen resolution PDF no larger than 10MB, keeping in mind judges must be able to zoom into the PDF on screen to read small type and review fine detail
- All pages must contain your full name, school and entry category
- Saved as: Category_FirstInitialLastname.pdf (ie. InteractiveDesign_JBrown.pdf)
- Contain screenshots and/or detail(s) of entry
- Page minimum dimensions 8.5” x 11”, landscape or portrait formats
- Page maximum dimensions 11” x 17”, landscape or portrait formats
PROJECT RATIONALE (Judging includes the evaluation of rationale)
- Is there a client and/or target audience? If so, describe how the project is relevant to these(max. 100 words)
- What were the primary objectives of the project and how were these met? (max. 100 words)
- List of all appropriate credits for the project including use of existing logo design, use of stock images, group work, etc.
URL (in case project is hosted online)
Please upload projects that are not hosted online at: https://us1-1.hostedftp.com/~rgdontario/
Please view the samples below (these examples do not include all categories, see Awards of Specialty above for complete list).
- Sample - Branding
- Sample - Editorial
- Sample - Interactive Design / Motion Graphics
- Sample - Packaging
Step 1: Fill out the online entry form
Step 2: Upload your digital files at RGD's ftp site (https://ftp.hostedftp.com/~rgdontario/)
Juries of award-winning creative professionals from across Canada will select the winning work. Students are eligible to win up to two Awards.
RGD will notify winners by email in July. Winners will be required to submit proof of their continued membership or affiliation with RGD for the coming year to claim their award.
Image credit: Design & Illustration: AmoebaCorp.