Enter the RGD Student Awards to win cash prizes and have your work profiled in a printed piece! RGD asks for submissions of your best work submitted as pdfs online. There is no entry fee; no original work need be created; and there are no costs to put a submission together. To date, RGD has distributed more than $250,000 in cash awards to students in recognition of outstanding achievement and to encourage excellence in our field.
6 AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE ($1,000 each)
Awards of Excellence winners will also receive $100 towards Blurb
- BRANDFX Award for Western Canada
- Bureau Award for Northern Ontario
- MET Fine Printers Award for Western Canada
- Kivuto Award for Eastern Ontario
- Quarry Award for Western Ontario
- Tamm + Kit Award for Greater Toronto Area
11 AWARDS OF SPECIALTY ($1,000 each)
Awards of Excellence winners will also receive $50 towards Blurb
Bell Media Award for Motion Graphics - any project that uses digital techniques such as animation, infographics, photography, video, 3D, typography, sound and/or narration to tell a visual story.
Colourphill Award for Typographic Design - any project where typography is integral to the design solution. This might be a poster, brochure, a visual identity system, logo, website or motion graphics project.
Cundari Award for Advertising/Promotion Design - any project created to promote a specific business, program, event or special offer. This can include self-promotion or client-based work.
Entro Award for Placemaking Design - any project that helps build community through design interventions. This might be a poster for an event, a website for a tourist destination, a wayfinding system for a university or the design of a retail space.
50 Carleton Award for Logo Design - any project that is intended to represent and identify a company, product, service or organization and its essence graphically to be applied consistently across all visual materials representing that company, product, service or organization.
Forge Award for Information Design - any project that involves the design of clear, concise and visually attractive materials that enhance how people read, understand and use complex and/or detailed information. This might be an editorial layout documenting a complex issue, a user guide for completing a difficult task, a website presenting a range of statistics or a detailed map.
Milestone Integrated Award for Digital Marketing Design - any project designed to sell a product or service through a digital platform. This might include a company website, an email campaign for a new product or an app or a contest advertised through Facebook or other social media.
Parcel Award for Print Design - any project designed to be presented in the print medium. This might include a magazine, book, a poster, brochure, an invitation or postage stamp.
q30 design Award for Brand Design - any project that involves a visual set of associations representing a company, product, service or organization. This might include a visual identity system applied to a business card, stationery and promo materials, a packaging system for a line of products, a visual identity system applied to a retail environment, delivery trucks and staff uniforms, or a visual identity system applied to the website and promotional materials for a conference or other event.
SapientNitro Award for Interaction Design - any project designed to satisfy the needs and desires of people using a digital product, environment, system or service. This might include a website, an app, a game, an interactive advertising campaign or the user interface for a handheld device.
Shikatani Lacroix Award for Packaging Design - any project designed to enclose, protect and promote a product for sale. This might include the labelling on a beer bottle, packaging inside a CD case, the wrapper for a chocolate bar or the packaging system for a line of cosmetics.
RGD (and SDGQ) Student Members graduating between April 1, 2015 and October 1, 2016, are eligible to enter. Any student enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program in Canada is eligible for RGD Student Membership. Go to www.rgd.ca/membership/student.php for details.
Step 1: Fill out the online entry form HERE: https://rgdhub.wufoo.eu/forms/student-awards-form-2015/
Step 2: Upload your digital files at RGD’s ftp site HERE: https://email@example.com/
Students must fill out an online entry form and upload 1-3 projects in PDF format. (To be eligible for an Award of Excellence, you MUST submit 3 projects. For Awards of Specialty, one project is fine).
PDF SUBMISSION SPECS
(1) Submit a PDF file with up to 6 pages (for each project).
(2) Screen resolution PDF no larger than 10 MB, keeping in mind judges must be able to zoom into the PDF on screen to read small type and review fine detail.
(3) Each PDF should contain images of the project. This might be screenshots if it’s a website or motion graphics project, photographs for a packaging projects, a layout of a poster or spreads of a magazine.
(4) If you are submitting a website or motion graphic, please ensure that a url to the project is included in the pdf.
(5) All pages must contain your full name, school and entry category.
(6) Saved as: Category_FirstinitialLastname.pdf (ie. InteractiveDesign_JBrown.pdf)
(7) Page minimum dimensions 8.5" x 11", landscape or portrait formats.
(8) Page maximum dimensions 11" x 17", landscape or portrait formats.
(9) Each PDF must include a brief PROJECT RATIONALE covering the information requested below.
- Is there a client and/or target audience? If so, describe how the project is relevant to them. (max. 100 words)
- What were the primary objectives of the project and how were these met? (max. 100 words)
- List of all appropriate credits for the project including use of existing logo design, use of stock images, group work, etc.
Award-winning creative professionals from across Canada will select the winning work. Students are eligible to win up to 3 Awards.
RGD will notify winners by email in July. Winners will be required to submit proof of their continued membership or affiliation with RGD for the coming year to claim their award.