Communications Designer - Vancouver
The mission of UBC Athletics is to engage our community in outstanding sport experiences; to enable UBC athletes to excel at the highest levels; and to inspire school spirit and personal well-being through physical activity, involvement, and fun. UBC is committed to supporting the best possible environments for working, learning and living where respect, civility, diversity, excellence and inclusion are valued.
The Communications Designer is responsible for the visual design of UBC Athletics’ online and offline marketing communications. The designer ensures digital and print materials are visually engaging, raise the profile of the UBC Thunderbird brand, help drive sports event attendance, and adhere to the UBC Thunderbird and UBC brand standards. This role requires an experienced designer capable of designing compelling content for print, advertising, environmental and digital channels that include: web, mobile, and social media. The position is expected to provide leadership on decisions related to the department's visual identity and branding, and will also be expected to educate others on the proper usage of the department's marks, styles, and templates. As a member of the department's Marketing and Promotions unit, this position collaborates with marketing and communications professionals, sponsors, coaches, and external contractors to deliver an exceptional brand engagement experience.
The Marketing team within the UBC Athletics Department helps to promote the University’s 25 varsity sports teams with the goal of elevating the UBC Thunderbird brand, building school pride and maximizing game attendance and ticket sales. The Marketing team promotes several large-scale festival game events during the school year along with a robust schedule of games that take place each week during the fall and winter terms. The Communications Designer reports to the Senior Manager, Sports Marketing & Promotions. This position also works closely with the Manager, Promotions & Game Day, and the Coordinator, Sport Marketing & Promotions on project definition and implementation.
- Works systematically to apply best practices in the development, design, writing, and implementation of print, digital, web, and environmental projects for the UBC Thunderbird visual brand) across five areas:
- The design of core visual elements and assets;
- The design of brand applications for major projects (i.e. Publications, National Championships, Festival Events and large-scale Out-of-Home brand applications) across digital, web, motion, print, and environmental media;
- The design and refinement of identity system templates (i.e. stationery, digital signage);
- The writing and design of user guidelines for print and online;
- The development and delivery of related presentations, training, and workshops.
- Develops visual concepts, graphics and design templates that support student and community-facing communications projects including: websites, blogs, email newsletters, social media platforms, print materials, uniforms, and apparel.
- Develops creative visual solutions for web page elements and communication hierarchy using layout,color, typography, proportion, navigation, iconography, photography, motion / rich media, and brand.
- Performs original graphic design and layout, typesets, manipulates digital images, takes photographs, creates vectored and bitmapped illustrations as needed for web and print communications materials.
- Discusses projects with Marketing team to clarify subject material, design objectives, and provide recommendations on selection of media.
- Creates concepts in draft format for client review; through client consultation develops and brings product to final stage.
- Considers accessibility for people with disabilities when making design decisions;
- Adheres to UBC brand identity guidelines and contributes to internal design style guides.
- Assists with photo shoots and maintenance of the Athletics image database, including scanning, archiving and curating existing and new images. Responds to photo requests from the UBC community.
- Hires internal and external service providers as required.
- Liaises with editors and content providers to establish and meet production deadlines.
- Liaises with photographers and with vendors of printing, advertising and graphics services.
- Stays abreast of developments in visual design with an eye to extending the University's reputation and finding new opportunities for communication.
- Researches and advises on visual interface design; educates and advises departments on best practices in design strategies and implementation.
- Supervises student staff and volunteers in design and marketing related capacities.
- Performs other related duties as required.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR
The position must exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with senior staff and faculty. The Communications Designer must understand and explain how different design and printing options will achieve the desired goals within the resources and timeframe available. The Communications Designer manages multiple projects with competing deadlines. Because of deadlines, the position is frequently responsible for making decisions outside of normal working hours without being able to check with others.
People who rely on information provided through our digital communications materials include faculty, staff, and students at UBC; faculty, staff, and students at other universities and colleges; and, high-school students and counselors both within Canada and in other countries. Students make academic and personal decisions based on material published. Errors would cause serious inconvenience to large numbers of people and could have legal and financial consequences for UBC.
The position reports to the Senior Manager, Sport Marketing & Promotions. This position works autonomously within Provost & VP Academic and ES policies. Work is reviewed in terms of achievement of high professional standards in the delivery of marketing communications services.
The Communications Designer may work with external consultants for project work, and provides functional supervision to student employees as needed. This position is expected to make moderately complex decisions, with guidance provided in exceptional circumstances.
- Three year Graphic Design program. Minimum of two years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrates expert working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; plus Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- CSSHTML and motion graphics experience considered an asset.
- Demonstrates skills in design, colour theory, typography, illustration; and, the development and use of graphic elements and photography in print and digital communications materials.
- Demonstrates a strong knowledge of branding systems and working within a graphic system.
- Designs with a clean, functional design aesthetic and excellent form.
- Demonstrates experience in creating print and online advertising and promotions.
- Executes accurate production artwork that includes style sheets, page masters, and templates.
- Experience in planning, development and production of print materials.
- Experience with uniform and apparel design is an asset.
- Capacity for creativity and research; ability to exercise initiative, resourcefulness and judgment.
- Ability to exercise a high level of diplomacy, tact and discretion when working with information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature and in dealing with various levels of senior administration and external agencies.
- Effective oral and written communication, prioritizing, multi-tasking, inter-personal and customer service skills. Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment and to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines. Ability to assess own performance and report on project status to senior staff.
- Creates and delivers presentations, training, and workshops related to design and branding where appropriate.
- Photography, digital archiving, and web design experience an asset.
- Knowledge of WCAG and Section 508 Accessibility compliance standards.
Email resume, cover letter and portfolio (attach PDF or include link to online portfolio) to (Senior Manager, Sport Marketing & Promotion). The deadline for applications is midnight on July 27, 2018.
Please Include the following job code in the email subject and cover letter:
JOB CODE: 185801 - GraphicDesig&Illustr, Level A