Mid to Senior-Level Graphic Designer - Toronto
Aubs & Mugg is seeking a mid to senior-level graphic designer to join our close-knit team. Opened in 2012, Aubs & Mugg Inc. is a boutique, multi-disciplinary design studio based in downtown Toronto. We use a combination of human-centered design practices and creative problem solving to provide our clients with brand experiences that are beautiful, intelligent and authentic.
You identify less as a “graphic designer” and more as a creative problem solver. You went to school for design and have been working in the industry for a few years now. You know there are highs and lows in this field, but you love the rush that comes with finding the right solution to your problem, and that outweighs everything else. Your favourite area of design is branding, (you understand the difference between a brand and a logo) but you’re okay with putting together a gorgeous editorial spread, or an eye-catching website too. If you’re asked to come up with an idea for a project, you’ll come up with ten.
You work well in a small studio environment where you can take the lead on projects, working independently or in collaboration with the creative director to produce work that is as clever as it is beautiful. You work well under pressure and tight deadlines don’t throw you off. You actively seek out feedback that is clear, concise and actionable because you're always looking for ways to improve.
The right person for this position will:
- Have strong strategic thinking skills. We’re looking for someone who can understand the problem, ideate on possible solutions and easily communicate why they think one direction is better than others.
- Execute on a chosen direction efficiently – you can turn work around quickly but you don't sacrifice quality to do so.
- Be comfortable working on Adobe Cloud applications. We also use Sketch for web design, Marvel for prototyping and tools like Typeform, UsabilityHub, Mural, etc. for research. Experience in those isn't required, but it doesn't hurt.
- Have experience designing for web and a basic understanding of best practices (accessibility, mobile-first, etc). You don’t identify as a developer, but you understand enough CSS and HTML that you can communicate effectively with them.
- Have some experience working with Wordpress – the word “Gutenberg” means more to you than just ‘printing press’.
- Be comfortable taking on the traits of the Creative Director role when necessary, while remaining hands-on with design (ie. communicating with clients).
- Enjoy working out of an office, and is okay keeping standard working hours of 9-5 (for the most part). We understand that sometimes working remotely makes more sense.
At Aubs&Mugg we strive to ensure our employees are well taken care of and have an enjoyable working experience. Your growth – both personal and professional – is important to us. That is why we offer generous salaries, vacation time and benefits, and promote a balanced work/life experience. We build learning opportunities into our day-to-day to help you get hands-on experience in the areas that you're most interested in.
If you think you could be our next team member, Julie would love to hear from you. Please send your CV and a link to your digital portfolio to . Thank you for taking the time to apply!