Our people are our greatest asset. As part of our team, you will become part of a diverse community that acknowledges everyone’s unique talents and empowers people to do what is right for our visitors and each other. You will work in an environment where we believe in developing our employees and growing their strengths, while focusing on our values: Curious, Playful, Inclusive, Relevant and Collaborative.
Position: Graphic Designer
Reports to: Creative Director, Brand
What’s exciting about this opportunity?
Well known for fun and flair, Science World makes science learning approachable and captivating through interactive exhibits and hands-on programming. With many exciting developments underway involving diverse collaborations, new digital initiatives, and expanded outreach, Science World is poised to significantly scale our science literacy and engagement efforts throughout British Columbia. We are looking for a Graphic Designer who is curious, collaborative, and brings enthusiasm for design work, whether print or web, to help build and grow our much-loved brand at this exciting time.
As a facility, Science World is generally open to the public seven days a week, with some extended evening hours in the summer months. Typical office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30am – 5:30pm, with front-facing and operational teams also working a variety of shifts including weekends, holidays and evenings. Hours of work and other related requirements will be scheduled according to business needs and this may include special events on evenings, weekends and holidays.
What’s the job?
The Graphic Designer will work collaboratively with the team and across the organization to produce visual solutions that meet our organization’s needs, from concept to completion. You will also be responsible for consistently representing our visual brand across many touchpoints – from in-building wayfinding and signage, to supporting our fundraising, program and outreach support, social media and marketing assets, to designing merchandise for our Science Store.
Who are we looking for?
You are an inquisitive designer who brings humility and openness to the table alongside your commitment to your craft. You are inclusive, and you understand that playfulness and experimentation make your design work shine. You are always seeking to learn new things and sharpen your skills. Recent graduates are welcome to apply.
What skills and capabilities do you bring?
- You are skilled at working both independently and collaboratively with other designers and clients
- You know how to manage your time well in order to make deadlines, and you keep your work organized
- You have demonstrated design skills in layout and typography for both web and print
- You understand how to experiment and play within the boundaries of brand guidelines
- You have excellent communication and presentation skills, and approach your work with a service mindset
- Perform other related duties as required to fulfill any changing business needs of this role
What’s the typical background we are looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication Design or related discipline
- Fully fluent in both web and print media
- Experience working with clients to determine requirements, communicate timelines, and problem-solve issues
- Nice-to-haves (one or more):
- Illustration skills
- Motion graphics skills
- Photography skills
- This is a unionized position represented by CUPE 1004.
Science World offers a substantial benefits package including: Extended Health, Dental, RRSP matching, generous paid time off (vacation, sick, wellness days), Personal Enrichment day, Science World membership, Professional Development and Hybrid Work environment for remote/in-person work; please note some work will require being on site.
Do you feel you haven’t met every requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the job posting.
Science World is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined, as you may have transferable skills that would be an asset to our team.
Please apply by Tuesday, May 30, 2023
Please upload a cover letter and a copy of your resume as part of your application
* All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks.
We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted *
Please visit this link to apply: