In 2015, RGD, in partnership with York University, organized its first-ever Design Educators Conference.
Future Conferences took place in partnership with Centennial College, George Brown College and Humber College before the event was put on hold in 2018 when a college teachers strike forced an event scheduled to take place at Ryerson University to be cancelled.
We are pleased to be bringing the event back as a virtual conference! Our 2020 Design Educators Conference will take place October 21 to 23 in online formats.
Education vs. Learning
The fourth Design Educators Conference gathered renowned national and international design scholars from around the world to explore the connections and disconnects of education with the goal to stimulate learning. Conference proceedings from a specially selected group of speakers have been curated and published in the form of a PDF.
As students and technology evolve, how is education changing to meet the needs of the new learner? What technologies or techniques will encourage learning? Where are the pain points for educators and learners? The 2016 Design Educators Conference seeks to explore the connections and disconnects of education with the goal to stimulate learning.
Presenters shared new models of collaboration taking form at the intersection between academia and real world projects. Design practitioners and scholars investigated the following questions:
- As students and technology evolve, how is education changing to meet the needs of the new learner?
- What technologies or techniques will encourage learning?
- Where are the pain points for educators and learners?
A big thank you to those involved in the writing, reviewing and designing process:
Peer Review Committee
- Renee Alleyn, Sheridan College
- Sean Grant RGD, Cambrian College
- Gillian Harvey, University of Alberta
- Richard Hunt, OCAD University
- Nancy Snow, OCAD University
- Paul van Dongen RGD, Committee
- Saskia van Kampen RGD, OCAD University
Megan Oldfield RGD, Field Design Office
Nadine Arseneault RGD
To download the publication, click here.
- The 2015 Design Educators Conference Proceedings are now available for download.