Julian is the designer and entrepreneur behind the motion design studio ON THE CHASE! In its first five years, OTC! has won international awards and collaborated with diverse clients ranging from high-profile non-profit MaRS to award-winning filmmaker Sarah Polley. Julian has been profiled in Applied Arts and Design Edge. He is a graduate of the York/Sheridan Design Degree program.
- Since 2013, Ray has overseen all creative development aspects of the Faculty’s visual identity and has won numerous awards for his creative, design and strategic work. His areas of expertise include strategic brand and identity development, publications and packaging design. Prior to joining U of T, Ray was Lead Graphic Designer at Kobo Inc. and Art Director at DUO Strategy & Design Inc.
Greg is an art director and graphic designer at Cossette Communication Inc., based out of Halifax, NS. Holding degrees in both graphic design and illustration, Greg’s work is rooted in strong conceptual ideas. His illustrative approach has been used in branding, marketing and advertising campaigns for both national clients and small market entrepreneurial ventures.
Greg’s passion for design is inspired by his willingness to learn from others and build a global community of like-minded individuals that hold craft, creativity and ethical industry standards to the highest level.
Notable clients include: McDonald’s, Ronald McDonald House Charities, PGA TOUR Canada, Canadian Institute of Forestry, Business Development Bank of Canada, Lakehead University and the National Post.
- Janice Fung is a creative advertising professor at Humber College and the owner and principal designer of JF Design. She is a dedicated educator equipped with an effective balance of practitioner experience and academic diligence. Her most notable clients include the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, Dance Umbrella of Ontario and Howard Rideout Architect.
Lionel is co-founder and Creative Director of Context Creative in Toronto. He is responsible for the firm's creative output and oversees the design team working for clients such as Toronto Hydro, Ontario Power Generation, Hydro One Networks, Canada Post, Canada Health Infoway, Ontario Trails Council, Ontario Ministry of the Environment, SynecticsWorld and Beck’s Beer.
Lionel has a passion for the impact that design thinking can make in building businesses and differentiating brands in a world that is rapidly commoditizing.
Under Lionel’s leadership, Context Creative has won over 50 awards from the Canadian Marketing Awards, ADCC Directions, RGD Design at Work, the CPRS ACE Awards and the GDC Graphex awards.
- Jessica is the Creative Director and Principal at Anthem Design, a Northern Ontario based design studio. She also serves as part-time faculty in the graphic design program at Sault College of Applied Arts and Technology.A Registered Graphic Designer, Jessica holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from York University and a Master of Design from the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design.Her work strives to create sustainable communities and small business growth through design initiatives.
- Derwyn Goodall RGD has 30 years of high-profile design and branding experience and 15 years of experience as a design educator. His firm, Goodall Integrated Design, utilizes an integrated approach that enables clients to build business while building their brands. He has worked with many of Canada’s most noted organizations, including: Ministry of Education, Canadian Heritage, Hydro One and Canada Post.In the late 1990’s, Derwyn helped create the RGD Certification exam, which is the benchmark for professional standards and ethics in the graphic design industry.
Early on, Wendy juggled running a graphic design business with teaching at George Brown College and York University, but now focuses on her firm Gravity Inc. Wendy loves building strong and effective communications, either as a brand steward for Gravity's many loyal clients or as a fresh set of eyes for the new clients who come calling. She emphasizes client contact, as well as the delivery of design and strategy that invites audiences to engage, learn and take action.
Athena is Design Director at Akendi, a leading UX design and research company based in Toronto. She brings 16 years of expertise in mobile, website, user interface, branding and print design. Athena’s mission is to create intentional experiences through design, ensuring user experience is at the core of everything we do. All of this is done while inspiring a team of talented designers, meeting stakeholder objectives and instilling creativity, quality and integrity throughout the design process.
- Terry has over 27 years education/work experience in Graphic Design. (yes. He started designing professionally at 3 years old!) A graduate of Sheridan College, Terry has worked in a variety of design and production positions in the graphics industry. Starting at Equator Communications, then on to Brettons and Boulevard in Toronto, Terry has worked through a series of technological revolutions in the design industry.Terry is focused on providing the best possible challenges, education and experiences for today’s design student and works toward increased recognition for the accreditation of Graphic Designers in Ontario.
Art Director and graphic designer, specializing in editorial and book design. Expertise in art direction, graphic design and typography. Extensive experience art directing photographers, illustrators, graphic designers, and production teams. Prior to joining the publishing industry, Cris has project managed various new media initiatives and ran her own graphic design studio.
James is a Toronto-based multi-disciplinary designer and design entrepreneur whose work encompasses print and digital media. Previously, James was Senior Designer of Graphic Design and Digital Media at the MOMA in New York City. For nearly 10 years, he designed digital and print collateral projects for all of MoMA’s exhibitions and programs.
James has earned a variety of awards and appeared in a number of North America design publications, including DesignEdge, CMYK, Graphic Design USA, Print and Communication Arts. James has BFA in Communications Design with honours from Pratt Institute and MFA in Design from the School of Visual Arts in New York.
- Jennifer is Design Director at Skylight Communication. Her over 15 years in the communications industry includes art direction and design for branding, print and digital media. After a number of years honing skills in the agency world she started an independent graphic communication studio in 2006. She continues to work collaboratively with other creative professionals who emphasize the value of design in effective communication.
Personal computers did not exist when I started my career as a professional graphic designer. My work station was a drafting table. My tools were a set of drawing pens that seemed to be always clogged, a ruling pen, a parallel ruler, French curves and shape templates, a protractor, a jar of black and white gouache, a proportional percentage wheel and a cropping ruler. The work environment was collaborative, because I had to rely on various skilled tradespeople such as typographers to assist me in creating a final product. And the nature of executing design work was perceived as a mystery.
Young professional graphic designers today are facing a complex challenge. Despite their skills and talents, technological tools have facilitated quicker execution which only emphasizes the greater need to know how to understand and solve problems.
I became a member of the evaluation committee in order to help build a strong community of professional graphic designers who will shape an original, creative and innovative representation of what we are as a culture and who will make a difference in the world.
A member of the Association of Registered Graphic Designers (RGD) since its inception, I have more than 35 years of design experience. I have worked in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto before starting my own business in 1989 that would become Costa Leclerc Design (CLD). My experience in marketing and my artistic approach guide CLD’s strategy as well as the development of interactive initiatives, visual identities and integrated brand campaigns in French and English
More information about CLD can be found at www.costaleclercdesign.com
Cathy Ledden is creative director of Ledden Design iT. She opened her studio in 2004, to demystify complex communications, using design and technology to solve projects labeled “it’s never been done before”. Her current clients span government, professional associations, educational and corporate organizations.
Her team had the rare privilege to design a logo and brand identity for a profession and designation, the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada. The design acknowledges the legacy designations and proudly communicates that the Canadian CPA is an internationally recognized business and accounting credential.
She has over 25 years of experience and is a passionate communications problem-solver, requiring careful listening and the ability to define project requirements, manage implementation, liaise with all team members and work collaboratively. Before founding Ledden Design iT, she worked for University of Toronto Press, Freeman Communications, Scotiabank, and Towers Watson.
Cathy has received awards and recognition by RGD, ACE Communication Awards and the Financial Post and Applied Arts and HOW magazine.
The Morano Graphic Design team is led by company founder Angelo Morano. Before launching Morano Graphic Design, Angelo led the package design team at Joseph Mimran and Associates (now Loblaw) where he created and managed the packaging of two of Canada’s most recognized brands, JOE FRESH and President’s Choice. At JM&A, Angelo built the general merchandise and health and beauty packaging program from the ground up.
Angelo is a contributor to the George Brown College Design Program Advisory Committee and is an award-winning Graphic Designer based in Toronto, Canada.
Rod experienced the thrill successful communication design can bring early in his career in Australia. At J. Walter Thompson in Melbourne, Rod and agency colleagues convinced a national advertiser to integrate collateral with the advertising. What now seems an obvious design strategy was new for large ad agencies at that time. The resulting increased sales changed that.
- Megan is the founding principal of Field Design Office, and Coolaide Design.Partnering with a unique, diverse range of clients spanning entertainment, arts, hospitality and corporate sectors to create leading creative direction, branding, packaging, way finding, film titling and exhibition design – most notably for Stefan Sagmeister’s THE HAPPY SHOW.Additionally, Megan teaches 4th year Design Studio in the Art and Art Historyprogram, University of Toronto, Mississauga/Sheridan.
- Brent has been a member of the design industry for over 20 years providing creative solutions across packaging, retail, advertising and corporate design for some of the industry's leading design firms during that time.As creative Director, Graphics at Perennial Design, Brent leads a team of talented designers across multiple continents.Brent spends his spare time as Artistic Director of a community theatre organization, and always conveys to others the benefits of volunteering with an organization or cause they are passionate about.
Umar’s experience has led him to work with many small businesses, organizations and startups. He works closely with his clients to deliver a full range of services from branding, web design and development, to print collateral.
Several years ago, Umar had the opportunity to serve with the Board as a Student Member of the Advisory Committee. Since that time, he has worked for many organizations as an in-house creative, as well as for himself as a freelance designer.
- As founder and creative director of Greenmelon, Robert develops creative strategies–with a keen eye to messaging and aesthetics–for clients such as Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Farm Boy Fresh Markets, the Royal Canadian Mint, DC Comics and Warner Brothers.
He has received more than 100 awards of distinction from professional organizations and publications from around the world and have been featured in international trade magazines as well as being published in several hardbound publications.
He also speaks at professional development seminars, schools as well as for industry webinars. Topics have included the future of package design, how social media has changed design and building a better brand.
Jennifer Taback is a Partner at Design de Plume, a design and web studio located in Sudbury Ontario. A Registered Graphic Designer and graduate of both Graphic Design at Cambrian College and Laurentian University's Communication program Taback has had great success in working in the ever changing design market.
Taback is currently a board member of the Sudbury Design Society and in 2014 was recognized as the Northern Ontario Business Awards' Young Entrepreneur of the Year.
Stüssy is a founding principal of Forge Media + Design. Born and raised in Switzerland, he originally was a Swiss banker by day and a graffiti artist by night. He soon realized that his passion for the creative needed to be nourished more and decided to go back to school to become a graphic designer. Stüssy's roles range from creative direction, to quality assurance, to managing various client accounts such as Apple.
After working her way through Ontario College of Art & Design and graduating with multiple awards in 1995, Jennifer gained experience at several of Toronto's design agencies. For 15 years, Jennifer played a key role in idea generation and design excellence at Oxygen Design Agency. As a former Principal and Creative Director she created smart, effective, memorable work for major brands such as Coca-Cola, Nike, and the LCBO.
Passionate for non-profits, she was instrumental in assisting organizations like Sunnybrook Hospital, Meal Exchange, the Toronto Public Library Foundation, SickKids Foundation and Acumen Fund produce noticeable work that powers results.
In 2013, Jennifer launched Weaymouth Creative, her own boutique design firm. Her award-winning, crafted work is influenced by a global outlook, travel and a love of all things designed. Jennifer's passion for life and love of design fuel her creativity and inspire those around her.
- For more than 20 years, Fe Wyma has worked with a range of public and corporate clients across Canada. She is the principal designer of Kapwa Communications whose work is founded on the belief that communications is about more than strategy, design, and branding: it’s about the power of ideas and the ability to affect positive change in our community through responsible, creative practices. Fe was formerly a design professor at Algonquin College and Georgian College, and this, along with her experiences in Canada’s most northern and southern communities, fuel her desire to stay curious and keep learning.
Michael is an in-house designer at the Accessibility Directorate of Ontario, where he designs resources and tools to help organizations meet Ontario’s accessibility standards. With over 10 years’ experience in the design industry, Michael helps partner organizations, other government ministries and private-sector studios create attractive designs that are both AODA compliant and user-friendly.
He sits on both the RGD Accessibility Advisory Committee and the RGD Examination board.